Winter Gear shopping list

Associate
Brace yourself its coming

So far have my all in one waterproofs, over boots and hot grips, but left on my list is the following

1. Neck tube
  2. Glove inners (maybe)
  3. Base layer (warm)
  4. Maybe a balaclava the one I have isn't great

Haven't got a massive about to spend would like to keep it below £40 of the lot

Any recommendations, need to keep me riding through the cold

Soldato
Brace yourself its coming

So far have my all in one waterproofs, over boots and hot grips, but left on my list is the following

1. Neck tube
  2. Glove inners (maybe)
  3. Base layer (warm)

Haven't got a massive about to spend would like to keep it below £40 of the lot

Any recommendations, need to keep me riding through the cold

get yourself a cheap and cheerfull wooly neck warmer, mine was less than £5 from a bike show.

Never bothered with separate glove inners, my winter gloves have the liners built in. Make sure they're waterproof, otherwise use latex or similar gloves to keep your hands dry inside your gloves.

you can pick some cheap cycling base layers up, try to get merino wool long sleeved ones, very effective.

Never bothered with a balaclava.

Soldato
  1. Neck tube - £4 off internet... anyone will do.
  2. Glove inners (maybe) - Try Aldi, sometimes they have thin running gloves, these will work I'll be using mine under my proper gloves, depends how big your standard gloves are though obviously.
  3. Base layer (warm) - Literally get a pair of long johns, no one will see them, cheap and work perfectly. If they worked for Scot Of The Antartic, they'll work for you.
  4. Maybe a balaclava the one I have isn't great - Mmm... not sure about this one.

Soldato
I've been on a quest for years, to find the perfect inner glove, but have yet to find any that keep my hands toasty warm, or indeed warm :( They're used in conjunction with a pair of Knox Zeros, and I've tried everything from cheap 'army' ones to £15 wind-proof ones.

Be interested to see if anyone else knows of goo inners, or are heated grips the only way forward?

Associate
OP
Well I have heated grips and to be honest they are great but I need something to protect the tips of my fingers.

Windchill is the issue don't want rubber gloves inside as I don't want the sweat. Some people have mentioned silk but not tried it

Associate
  1. Neck tube
  2. Glove inners (maybe)
  3. Base layer (warm)

1. I use this neck tube
2. I have a pair of running gloves to use as the internal layer. Thin and practical, keeping the fingertips warm.
3. Just put another tshirt on underneath.
4. Sometimes having a bit of cold air in the helmet keeps you awake in the morning rides so I don't mind that so much.

Soldato
I think it depends what sort of riding you wanna do but imo from experience of my 2 winters on bike commuting to work you need:
1. Heated grips - this is a must (hand muffs are awesome however I don't like the look at all). You could probably do just with hand muffs alone which are very cheap.
2. Neck warmer or balaclava (I use both at the same time as I found that 1 neck warmer isn't enough for me). I used to use 2 cheap neck warmers to start with but I bought some cheap balaclava which makes a huge difference so I'm wearing it this year again.
3. Waterproof jacket/trousers/boots (I wear my jacket and on top of it cheap waterproof jacket to stop all cold wind from getting inside, same for trousers, I do that as my jacket/trousers aren't waterproof for long enough).
4. Good gloves, I use all year round gloves which are too hot during summer.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well so far I have bought

Neck scarf - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380467958726?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2709wt_1397
I already have these wore them this morning man I was cosy - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261097699869?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1180
Already have an oxford balaclava, but still thinking about upgrading my gloves as they are the ones lidls sold.
And I have picked up a helly hensen base layer from an outlet store just incase

Caporegime
I had everything I needed for winter riding but suffered from cold fingertips too. So after reading a few reviews I picked up a pair of Spada Enforcer gloves. I've only had them a couple of months but I'm hopeful for them as my hands have never felt toasty before, and that's without any inner gloves. For £50 I thought I'd give them a shot.

I'll soon be getting another Weise X-Blade II jacket too as my existing one has been great in all weathers and temperatures, but was a hand-me-down and didn't come with it's lining. Very impressed with it all the same and for £80 thought I may as well get a new one this year.

It'll probably be a mild winter now...

Associate
Thermals,
winter gloves,
silk undergloves (£5, worked surprisingly well last year)

That's what I've got from last year together with my textiles. I reckon I may need to buy some new boots though as mine have destroyed themselves, any recommendations for sub £100 boots?

Soldato
Went out in full thermal lined winter gear this morning, for the first time since last winter, and had forgotten how restricted in movement it all made me. I can still do lifesavers and all but now it feels like a workout at the gym doing them :D

Caporegime
...any recommendations for sub £100 boots?

Funnily enough, this month's Ride magazine tested 36 all-weather boots and in the under £100 bracket liked the following :

1. RST Paragon WP - Totally waterproof, tough but not very breathable.
2. Bullson Solid Sheltex (Hein-Gericke) - Solid and good to walk in too (the tester bought a pair).
3. Spada Thunder - Good feel but felt slightly cheaper on construction.
4. Tuso B4 - A reasonable all rounder but not so good to walk in.

Associate
Funnily enough, this month's Ride magazine tested 36 all-weather boots and in the under £100 bracket liked the following :

1. RST Paragon WP - Totally waterproof, tough but not very breathable.
2. Bullson Solid Sheltex (Hein-Gericke) - Solid and good to walk in too (the tester bought a pair).
3. Spada Thunder - Good feel but felt slightly cheaper on construction.
4. Tuso B4 - A reasonable all rounder but not so good to walk in.

Thanks mate will give those a look :)

Soldato
I find that the ride magazine awards are mostly rubbish. I wouldn't trust their opinion on gear any more than a store salesman.

You want layers to keep warm. A merino wool layer next to he skin. a layer of light top, or t-shirt, a fleecy layer, and then a windproof top will keep your core nice and warm.

In terms of gloves, some decent gore-text (or similar ones) and get yourself some heated grips (I'm actually selling a new pair of R&G ones ;) - muffs can also make a massive difference.

I'd also look at getting some water proof, wind proof socks too.

I used to commute all through winter, and at -7 (not including wind chill), I've learned the hard way.

Caporegime
I find that the ride magazine awards are mostly rubbish. I wouldn't trust their opinion on gear any more than a store salesman.

You want layers to keep warm. A merino wool layer next to he skin. a layer of light top, or t-shirt, a fleecy layer, and then a windproof top will keep your core nice and warm.

In terms of gloves, some decent gore-text (or similar ones) and get yourself some heated grips (I'm actually selling a new pair of R&G ones ;) - muffs can also make a massive difference.

I'd also look at getting some water proof, wind proof socks too.

I used to commute all through winter, and at -7 (not including wind chill), I've learned the hard way.

Have you had problems with any of Ride's recommended kit at all - if so which ones?

You do know that all of their recommendations come from real world testing through real people out on the road, yes? They also do the full gamut of abrasion, seam and impact tests, together with warmth, water proofing and on the road testing...oh, and they've been recommending layers since day one too!?

To be honest I can't say I'm too convinced with some of your recommendations. Sure, layers are a good thing - we got that from fell walkers and mountaineers years a go, but there's no need for merino wool, gore-tex gloves or indeed waterproof and wind proof socks!? You're not using old army boots are you?

I've tried a few of their recommendations and have been very pleased with all of them, after trying them on somewhere to be sure of a good fit and feel. I've also commuted in similar temperatures to you too, like many here I'm sure and I've not found it to be hard at all...

A good jacket, good gloves, good bottoms, good boots (all warm and water proof and yes, breathable if you perspire). I then just add some M&S long johns + top, a good high necked fleece and a balaclava...oh and not forgetting a pinlocked visor. Wind deflectors and/or hand warmers are a great addition, but so are heated gloves, vest or a suit if you can afford them.

It's all about compromise however. You may have your work gear underneath and long-johns are great but wouldn't be a good choice if you can't change out of them at the other end. There's also not too many people that want to be trussed up like a Michelin man and many don't like the look of muffs for a run in the countryside on their pride and joy, even though they know they'd sort out cold hands.

The foolproof way of staying totally warm and dry on the way too and from work or through many miles on a countryside jaunt? Get in a car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom