Wiping pc but keep windows 10.

Associate
Ok, noob question alert. I’m selling my custom built pc that I bought from overclockers 2 years ago. I’m obviously wanting to do a wipe to remove any personal data. Now, windows 10 was pre installed onto the build along with all the drivers. By doing a factory reset, Will this remove windows 10 or, because it was pre installed, Will windows 10 remain on the pc? Is there a way to wipe all personal data without removing windows?
I have the disc with the product code but unless I’m wrong, you can only use this once? I haven’t used the code and didn’t know if overclockers would have used this to install windows 10?

Associate
Factory reset will put windows back on it.

What I'd do is replace the drive and install windows 10 on it and leave it to the new owner to activate it but if you don't want to go to that length you could manually uninstall and delete data and download a tool from Microsoft called cipher and run it a few times to overwrite the unallocated (free space containing deleted files).

You need to run this tool in cmd and it takes a while. You can look up example syntax on google to find out the command to run it.

Very straight forward.

Associate
OP
Ok, so I haven’t got a disc drive with the computer but the new owner has one he can use. So if do a factory reset, that will keep windows 10 on the system but I’m guessing he will need to reregister the product code? Is there a way I can remove all my personal data, settings and files but keep windows 10 and the drivers installed?

Associate
OP
And what about the drivers, Will they need reinstalling? I’ve got no idea if it’s a digital license. Overclockers sent it out pre installed if that’s helps?

Caporegime
And what about the drivers, Will they need reinstalling? I’ve got no idea if it’s a digital license. Overclockers sent it out pre installed if that’s helps?
Click start, settings, update and security, activation.

It will say there what type of license you have.

Drivers will auto download assuming windows has at least the ethernet driver built in.

Associate
OP
So just to be clear (I’m not too clued up on all this), if I reset my pc to factory condition, and the windows I have been using is a digital copy, the new owner will be able to power up and reinstall windows 10 without having to buy a new key for windows 10?

Associate
OP
And I’m not going to back up anything as I won’t be using anything I had on it. I assume the drivers will auto update when the new owner sets everything up?

Associate
OP
Update: activation
Windows is activated with a digital license linked to Microsoft account.

Will this mean the new owner can just reinstall windows 10 without new codes?

Associate
Your existing installation is activiated and linked online - but not necessarily to an MS account. Its linked primarily to the motherboard ID. If you change the hard drive, when you next install and activate windows, it sees its the same motherboard and simply activates it, as a replacement HDD is allowed on the changes that can be made to an existing license.

I have just gone through this process in the last couple of days. Took my in-law's laptop and ripped out the HDD and replaced it with an SSD. I did the following:

Used a free app to find the existing license and product key on the machine.
Used that product key to download a fresh installation ISO download from the MS site itself and created a USB key install key ( plenty of info out there on how to do that )
Took the HDD out and put the SSD in.
Booted from the USB key and installed Windows clean on the new drive.
At the point of install where it asked for a activation key, I said I didn't have one and skipped that section.
During the same install, I setup a base user account and refused to link it to an MS account ( I think they called it an offline account )
When the machine went online, it activated itself, no issues.

In terms of wiping your data, if you really want to clear the data, then cipher type programs are the order of the day.

Or just sell without the hard drive, keeping it for yourself ... explaining why.

Associate
OP
Ok, this is what I have done.
I completed a full factory reset of the pc without running any programs like cipher.
I have kept the hdd in as it was advertised with the pc.
I turned the pc off after factory reset was finished to allow the new owner to set up windows himself. It was a digital license in the pc but he will also have a disc copy with key to use.
Ihavnt backed anything up as there was nothing I needed on there and I won’t be using a pc again. Only used it for steam gaming which I am now finished with. I’m hoping this will be ok for my security and for him to reinstall windows without having to pay for a new key. Thanks in advance.

Associate
If the user knows how to recover data almost all of it will be completely recoverable.

If you don't have any sensitive data or aren't bothered then that's fine but personally it would bother me because once they get it you can't take it back.

Associate
OP
There isn’t anything on there. My steam account was on there and an outlook e Mail account I don’t use!!! Wasn’t used for anything else. No pics or files. I had a friend come over last night to do everything for me so hoping he hasn’t compromised anything!!! It’s been packaged and sent out for delivery!!!

Back
Top Bottom