Wireless Bridge for use with Virgin media

Associate
Hey,

I have just had Virgin media 100meg Broadband installed.
It's nice a quick via wired connections, but I get rubbish wireless signal almost everywhere in the house.

The Super Hub is in an inside room, inside a cupboard.

So, I would like to get a Wireless Bridge (I think) that I can add to the the network via a wired connection.

The house has wired sockets throughout, so I can plug it in, in a location that I find is the best.

With the above in mind, can someone "spec me" the right device!

I am thinking http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-006-TP&groupid=46&catid=1837&subcat=

Actually, I think http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-030-TP&groupid=46&catid=1837&subcat= will be better (as it's 300mb/s same as superhub)
Thanks
mp3duck

Last edited:
Associate
What you are looking for is something to do your routing, a bridge is slightly different to what you want. I use the Linksys WRT54GL with tomato firmware installed. You can dial up the signal strength to get maximum coverage. It's only g band but I get a stable 20MB.

Associate
As you linked, you're after a Wireless Access Point.

You'll connect this into your wired network and it'll extend that LAN over wireless. (It'll use your current gateway / DHCP etc).

It's nothing to do with routing; but you can turn a home switch / router into an Access Point.

Associate
OP
As you linked, you're after a Wireless Access Point.

You'll connect this into your wired network and it'll extend that LAN over wireless. (It'll use your current gateway / DHCP etc).

It's nothing to do with routing; but you can turn a home switch / router into an Access Point.

Yes, that precisely what I am looking to do.
I want to keep the existing router, and simply "extend" it from the LAN socket I plug into.

I will go for the faster of the ones I listed.

@imb4tman - Thanks for the reply, but seeing as my Virgin media is a 100mb connection, I thinking getting 20mb stable will not be sufficient.

Associate
stupid question, Have you tried changing the Wireless channels on the super Hub? I had to do this when my VM was installed as had the same drop out issues.

not saying this will resolve your issue but worked for me. My 100MB gets average 20 MB on wireless

Caporegime
Buy yourself a dlink dir-615 for £10 second hand off an auction site, flash it with dd-wrt and use it as an access point.

I have a dir615 (flashed to dd-wrt) as my main router, the superhub in modem only mode, and a dir615 (dd-wrt) on the other side of the house wired in as an Access Point. It works incredibly well (through huge, thick victorian walls).

Back
Top Bottom