Wireless card bit too close to GFX card fan?

Associate
Hello all, rather new to these forums. I've only just bought my first purchase from OCUK, a Titan Theo with its e5300 CPU and HD4850 1gig card and gubbins. I'm pretty damn pleased with it actually, it runs Company of Heroes rather splendidly. Anyway, I've got just one question...

How close can you have a PCI card to the GFX card fan? Basically the HD4850 is a humungous beast, and the only free PCI card slot is right next to the PCI express one that is overshadowed by the Death Star sized fan on the card. Can I pop a wireless card into the slot at only a scant 1cm - 1.5cm distance from the fan? Bit worried if it might interfere with the cooling or somesuch.

Apologies if it's a stupid question. This is actually my first computer in eight years, and I'm not sure how demanding the new breed is. My old compy was a Shuttle PC, so I was used to everything being packed in tight - but then the biggest card I had with that one was a comparitively dinky 7600GS AGP!

Thanks for your help. If you all reckon its a bit risky, any solutions like some sort of cunning USB external wireless connecter would also be handy.

(Motherboard's a Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L if that helps your deliberations any?)

Cheers for the help!

Pete

Associate
You can pop it in and use the catalyst control centre to monitor temps of the card before and after. That'll give you a good idea if its interfering or not :)

Back
Top Bottom