Wireless headphones for gaming

Soldato
I want some wireless headphones, I do not need a mic as I have a yeti but I don't know what my best options are, as far as gaming orientated ones the arctis pro seem the best bet but considering I don't actually need a mic would I be better of getting something else like some qc 35s or something.

Basically what would you guys get in my situation? Would headphones like the qc 35 actually be any good for gaming.

Also I know both those i mentioned are closed back but open back would be even better if possible.

Soldato
Unless you want plain stereo and have zero interest in positional sound location, i.e surround sound, then QC35 etc, wouldn't be a good choice.

Any wireless headphones that are designed for music would likely not work particularly well if used for FPS gaming, where you'd want to use something to provide surround sound effect. Whether that be Dolby Atmos for headphones, found as a trial in Windows 10, or something else.

The issue when it comes to wireless headphones, like the QC35 for example, is that because they are designed as music headphones, the wireless technology is not intended for transmitting data for surround sound; unlike wireless gaming headsets, where the wireless technology is designed to carry that surround sound data.

Anything wireless that is designed for gaming, will likely be a headset and have a microphone; although some headsets do have a microphone which either be removed or pushed back into the ear cup. I doubt there are many that are just headphones with no microphone, because often, gamers will want a microphone.

Audeze Mobius might be worth looking at, if you were considering QC35. Admittedly, the Audeze Mobius does cost more, but they reported to be very good. I think there was a thread on these forums for them.

Soldato
OP
Unless you want plain stereo and have zero interest in positional sound location, i.e surround sound, then QC35 etc, wouldn't be a good choice.

Any wireless headphones that are designed for music would likely not work particularly well if used for FPS gaming, where you'd want to use something to provide surround sound effect. Whether that be Dolby Atmos for headphones, found as a trial in Windows 10, or something else.

The issue when it comes to wireless headphones, like the QC35 for example, is that because they are designed as music headphones, the wireless technology is not intended for transmitting data for surround sound; unlike wireless gaming headsets, where the wireless technology is designed to carry that surround sound data.

Anything wireless that is designed for gaming, will likely be a headset and have a microphone; although some headsets do have a microphone which either be removed or pushed back into the ear cup. I doubt there are many that are just headphones with no microphone, because often, gamers will want a microphone.

Audeze Mobius might be worth looking at, if you were considering QC35. Admittedly, the Audeze Mobius does cost more, but they reported to be very good. I think there was a thread on these forums for them.

Having a mic isnt a deal breaker I just assumed there may be a more superior option out there without a mic. but googling says the best option really is the arctis pro.

Soldato
Is this for PC sitting at a desk kind of gaming or console gaming and late night TV? I use the Sennheiser RS165 TV ones for my console/TV stuff and they're fairly good. I still use wired for the PC stuff.

Associate
Are you looking for wireless headphones for PC or for console gaming?

I have both Bose QC 35 and an Audeze Mobius. I recently purchased the Audeze Mobius to replace a Sennheiser PC 360, which was connected via an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard to my PC.

The Bose QC 35 and Audeze Mobius are very different headphones that serve very different purposes. I wouldn't recommend the Bose QC 35 for gaming as I find their positional audio quite poor (I use them connected via a Sound BlasterX G6 to my laptop). The advantages of the Bose QC 35 are the noise-cancelling and that they're very light and portable. The hard case for the Bose QC 35 is much, much smaller than the hard case for the Audeze Mobius. However, the Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones I bought for my wife blow away the Bose QC 35 for sound quality.

There are some limitations with the Audeze Mobius when used as a Bluetooth wireless headset. I believe these limitations are common to all Bluetooth headsets. These limitations may matter less for you if you use your existing Yeti microphone. You can detach the microphone from the Audeze Mobius.

If you're willing to use wired headphones, almost any pair of good quality stereo headphones will give you positional audio using a suitable sound card that supports Dolby Atmos or similar.

I'd certainly recommend the Audeze Mobius as a wired headset. I haven't tried it as a wireless headset yet. The SteelSeries Arctis Pro you mentioned certainly seem to have received good reviews. I'd also suggest you consider the Sennheiser GSP 670. I was very pleased with my Sennheiser PC 360, which were very comfortable to wear and had very good positional audio when connected using the Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom