Wireless Mixed Reality

Associate
Hi,
I started approaching to VR & AR, and I was wondering what are the current wireless technologies available. As far as I can see, both Oculus (with Oculus Go) and HTC seems to have developed some wireless product low budget (more or less).
My question is: ok for the low-cost, but there is non-low-budget tech available that does the same thing?
If I want to try to map a room, ora a house with a 3d environment (so if the user touch a wall, there's a wall), there are technologies if you have enough budget?

In theory what you will need for this kind of project is something wireless with position tracking (even better with gesture tracking).

What is the best existing technology to do that? It's ok even if is one high-budget tech, it's just to understand what's available :)

Thanks guys :)
Francesco

Permabanned
There are no low cost wireless PC VR options at the moment. The cheapest would be the Oculus Bundle at sale price (£350) + TPCAST (~£300). But the Oculus, as you probably already know, requires sensors around a fixed play area.

Perhaps the Oculus Go will offer what you are after, but I don't think it is meant to connect to a PC.

Soldato
I think AR would be the best solution here (something like a Meta headset uses inside out tracking to map objects onto the real world) but it sounds like you're describing a VR solution where the user sees a virtual wall but touches a real wall. There are a few companies doing this now, with some funky tracking (weird little bobble antennae sticking out of the headset to do optical tracking). Look into existing VR location based experiences for an idea of how they've done it.

Soldato
I agree, I think AR will be more useful for that kind of work.

What is the best existing technology to do that? It's ok even if is one high-budget tech, it's just to understand what's available :)

I think the closest headset to do what you require would be the Microsoft HoloLens. They are pretty expensive though.

Back
Top Bottom