Wireless on linux

Associate
Hi,
Im looking for a linux OS that supports wireless. Not sure what card im getting was thinking of this one Dynamode 54 Mbps PCI Wireless Lan - Adapter nut sure of the model number ect. Or this one http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_network_card_wg311.php

I would prefer gentoo but any other is ok aslong as i can use folding at home SMP client :). They will be connecting to a WGR614 V6 router which will be using WPA aswell... i dont know weather i should post this in the network bit of the forum.

Thanks.

Permabanned
The Linux distro you use is fairly secondary- the main thing you need to ensure is that your wireless card has:

a) Good linux support

b) support for WPA (provided by WPA-supplicant in software)

Thankfully Ive never really had to battle with these requirements too much as most machines Ive dealt with have been Centrino-based laptops. I think if you can get hold of an Atheros chipset wireless card you should be able to get it working no matter which linux distro you use

Associate
My dell has an Intel chipset (3945abg) which thanks to the linux drivers off the Intel site and wpa_supplicant was quite straightforward to get working.
I know Atheros and prism chipsets are quite well supported, but i'd be suprised if there isn't one that wouldn't work with a push (dont know that for sure mind!!!)

Back
Top Bottom