Wireless problems!

Associate
Helloo all!

I have some odd wireless problems that are really starting to drive me mad!

I have a macbook and netgear router. I have had the router for about two years and it has worked fine until the last month.

I have a problem that there seems to be no wireless range where there was before. I am sat next to the router now but my macbook cannot see it.

However I am not sure if it is the macbook or router? If I do get wireless connection it works fine and then will suddenly stop. It wount work again no matter what I do unless I reboot.

This is starting to drive me up the wall and I have no idea if its the macbook or router!

Please if anyone has any ideas about how I could test this to see which is at fault it would be great.

The router works 100% fine when I plug straight into it so I dont know what to think!

Cheers!!

BigMac:D

Associate
Double-check the wireless settings:
Enable Broadcast SSID
Disable MAC address control
Save settings & reboot router.

Look for any updates on netgears site.

Permabanned
Big-Mac-Please said:
Helloo all!

I have some odd wireless problems that are really starting to drive me mad!

I have a macbook and netgear router. I have had the router for about two years and it has worked fine until the last month.

I have a problem that there seems to be no wireless range where there was before. I am sat next to the router now but my macbook cannot see it.

However I am not sure if it is the macbook or router? If I do get wireless connection it works fine and then will suddenly stop. It wount work again no matter what I do unless I reboot.

This is starting to drive me up the wall and I have no idea if its the macbook or router!

Please if anyone has any ideas about how I could test this to see which is at fault it would be great.

The router works 100% fine when I plug straight into it so I dont know what to think!

Cheers!!

BigMac:D

I have a Netgear Range MAX router, and it works fine with my Macbook, like others have said, why not try round your mates / Starbucks / Maccy D's

Soldato
I'm put money on it being your Mac. In the last patch Apple has naffed up wireless something rotten (amongst other things). Basically if the new patch doesn't like your access point you will get reduced range, drop outs and even os x saying it has a full speed, full strength signal when infact it has next to none. Unfortunately the only fix at the moment is to either flash the access point and hope, or get a different one :(

The next patch seems to have been beta tested an awful lot, so hopefully this shoddy one will just be a one off.

Soldato
Associate
I have EXACTLY the same problem with my Netgear router and both of my macs, that last patch really borked up my wireless.

I have had to resort to wires until it can be resolved (I hope) in the next patch :(

Soldato
same here on my MBP. I just got a new Netgear 'n' type router and it works spot on on wired network although i am gettin a few 'you are not connected to the internet' warnings. A refresh solves this but its still annoying. Wireless is good when connected but when I enabled the 802.11n firmware update it seems to have messed things up.

Soldato
What patch updates are you guys talking about?

I have a MBP and a Netgear router and have no problems at all. My router is about 2 years old and my MBP is 1 week old.

Cheers

Soldato
Rookies said:
What patch updates are you guys talking about?

I have a MBP and a Netgear router and have no problems at all. My router is about 2 years old and my MBP is 1 week old.

Cheers

The last set of OS X updates. It doesn't bork it with every router, but it has caused quite a few issues for people. The 'n' upgrade I mentioned earlier connects fine to a netgear box next to it, but none n upgraded machines will only reliably talk to the linksys.. it reminds me of the bad old days when wireless first came out and nothing worked with anything else :)

Associate
OP
Helloooo everyone and thanx for the replys :D

I will give that fix a try and pop round my brothers when I get chance to try his wireless.

It is such a paine though as it worked before. I do think it could be the update though as the faults people have described sound like exactly what I have!

Will let you know how the fix goes :D

Soldato
Just tried the fix on one of the minis and it didn't work. When it rebooted it just said the kext could not be loaded and I had no wireless :(

Edit: Repair disk permissions in Disk Utility sorted it out. Copying my test file now takes about 15seconds rather than 3-4 minutes :)

Last edited:
Soldato
sorry to barge in with this question but as it wireless related i though i ask here.

As my netgear router is not 'N' compatiable. But if i upgrade my airport in my laptop to 'N' would i see any different in range? Sorry to sound noob here

Soldato
Rookies said:
sorry to barge in with this question but as it wireless related i though i ask here.

As my netgear router is not 'N' compatiable. But if i upgrade my airport in my laptop to 'N' would i see any different in range? Sorry to sound noob here

AFAIK no.

Soldato
Just another quick update. I tried to apply the same fix to an 'n' upgraded machine but it didn't want to know. No errors, but the old kext reported that no AirPort hardware was found. I'm guessing that was what the update was for :)

Back
Top Bottom