Wireless signal

ajm

ajm

Associate
I have a Linksys wireless router 54G and 1 wired pc and 2 pc's with wireless cards.One of the pc's seems to get a poor signal and the speed keeps dropping low.I live in a standard 3 bed house,not thick walls and the pc's are not that far apart.The other wireless pc gets a perfect signal all the time.I have tried changing the channel incase of interference but made no difference in some cases didn't get any signal.

Is there a certain way to change the channels (ie Changing then rebooting etc)? Any other suggestions please?

Associate
I have had this prob with a client. had laptops in the same room get a prefect signal. but a PC wont, ive changed the PCI cards nothing has worked.
then I put the PC up high ( on table not on ground) and bang it got it. so I got a arreil extender and all is ok now.

Another thing to check is, the SSID. maybe somehow its on auto to one of the others close to you ? and it might try to swap ya out to it ( adv settings remove all but yours from it)

There are so many things that can make wireless a problem, I have had houses 5 storys high get signels all the way from top to bottem, next place next room wont get it :(.

Couples a things to note, one of the main components of paint for years was ..... Lead. and we all know what lead does :). not a lot ya can do about this, just gota move things around till ya get the right spot.

channels on alota routers the defualt is 11. so lets say ya have in range 12 people with wireless setups ( that ya can see... there might be more if ya got a good scanner it will show hidden as well). and all (or even one / two ) of those people have left it on defualt (11) .. that will make huge problems, also if they all left the SSID on default, and you have as well, it will have probs.

11 does have the best wave range, if ya can drop it only 1 or 2 spots down, say 9. some bad ones are, 1 and 3 in alota places, it tends to get effected with other wireless things like phones. microwave ovens etc etc

WPA is best for sec, but it also seems to effect signal str,

I have a realy strange one atm that I am trying to work out.

I have a router about 10 feet from the PC. every so offten it just losses the signal, I have changed routers, still dont work ( dif types from netgear, d link, linksys belkin adsl and adsl2). changed channels, pci card, USB card. nothing seems to work.

even my laptop test rig does it, ( put it next to the router as well ...) I have no idea wtf is going on.

Hardwire it and all is good.

Wireless is great, but we still have probs, and any tech will tell ya ,it just dont make sence sometimes (.

Last edited:

ajm

ajm

Associate
OP
marc2003
Can't swap the cards around at the moment because one of them has gone back for an rma but will try wwhen it comes back thanks.

bringans
Thanks for all the info,some of it makes sense to me and some not.The SSID thing could you explain a bit more in detail as to what i need to do?

Associate
Wireless Network Name (SSID) or service set identifier. All routers have this set to the name of the maker as default, so Netgear = SSID: NETGEAR, Linksys = LINKSYS Etc etc, if you have even one person near you that has this set to the defualt as well, then you will have probs :).

Basicly if you have autoed onto any other SSID, it will have this kept in the settings, and you need to remove all but your own.

On the windows defualt wireless control ( double left click the icon in the try near the clock), click view wireless connections, then click change advanced settings, the click wireless, ya will see a list off all the wireless SSID's you have connected too, remove all but yours.

if your using the wireless cards tool, then its dif for all, and pretty much would make this post alota pages :) .

ajm

ajm

Associate
OP
Well i checked it and it only shows the linksys SSID.Is there anything else i can try ?

Back
Top Bottom