Wiring a PC Fan

Associate
Solder would be better used as "last touch" (to "lock" wire) after using pliers to crimp it.

Controversial. Typically crimp crimp connectors and solder solder connectors. Do not crimp solder connectors and do not solder crimp connectors.

At least you are not soldering and then crimping which is the worst case. Solder is soft and when crimped tends to bend/crumble which later through flex releases the crimp breaking the connection.

Soldato
Controversial. Typically crimp crimp connectors and solder solder connectors. Do not crimp solder connectors and do not solder crimp connectors.
Proper crimping pliers wouldn't need any soldering afterwards.
But if using some needle nose pliers crimp might not be that good/secure, in which case tiny bit solder could secure it.

Soldato
Proper crimping pliers wouldn't need any soldering afterwards.
But if using some needle nose pliers crimp might not be that good/secure, in which case tiny bit solder could secure it.
Agreed, a good crimp should hold the wire if done properly. If I only have pliers then I do a pull test, if its loose I'll solder it (properly).

Soldato
Just folding over the conductor crimp in my experience is enough to hold the conductor but as it has no bellmouth the connection to the wire can quickly shear the copper. The light dab of solder takes the edge off but as stated does create a potential longer term issue.

I think the connection will probably be just fine though, provided it isn't yanked on or wiggled about too much. Back in the day that's how they made connections.

I have in the past had a pre paid courier thing sorted for me, all I needed to do was take it to a local shop. I forget what that was called though. That was easy enough.

Caporegime
OP
TealC has gone quiet so if he can't help i may end up doing the above.

I really did not expect the fans to come without a connection or i wouldn't of bought them in the first place. Could not find another place to buy 120mm server fans from with a high static pressure though.

Soldato
Oops sorry bud. Picked up your message at a bad time then totally slipped my mind.

I'm off work week after next so will be able to do it then, that is if none of the DIY methods work for you. I don't want to steal the feeling you get from doing a job yourself.

Caporegime
OP
Oops sorry bud. Picked up your message at a bad time then totally slipped my mind.

I'm off work week after next so will be able to do it then, that is if none of the DIY methods work for you. I don't want to steal the feeling you get from doing a job yourself.
Hah, no worries bud.

I would much prefer you do it, I'll only mess it up. As before, happy to cover postage costs and money for your efforts.

Let me know how you want to proceed and i will get them shipped to you.

Caporegime
OP
Just to update the thread. TealC sorted the fans out and they are now working perfectly with my fan controller. Temps have dropped a bit too from the Gentle Typhoon 1850's they replaced.

Back
Top Bottom