Wiring Ethernet through the house?

I get the point that WiFi won't technically be as good as wired ethernet. But the key question is surely, is it good enough for your use cases? I fear I've come to the wrong forum to argue this point!

I get the point that WiFi won't technically be as good as wired ethernet. But the key question is surely, is it good enough for your use cases? I fear I've come to the wrong forum to argue this point!

Yeah i do agree actually, it depends on what you're doing i guess. Wifi is generally 'good enough' for most stuff nowadays especially if you put in a mesh network.

If i'd moved into this house without any ethernet already installed i'd have done that as it'd have been such a pain to try and retro fit it into a modern house without a loft.

But if you do have the chance to install hard wired then it's a no brainer.

Yeah i do agree actually, it depends on what you're doing i guess. Wifi is generally 'good enough' for most stuff nowadays especially if you put in a mesh network.

If i'd moved into this house without any ethernet already installed i'd have done that as it'd have been such a pain to try and retro fit it into a modern house without a loft.

But if you do have the chance to install hard wired then it's a no brainer.
why without a loft, cant cables run under floorboards and switches be put under stairs or in cupboards???

why without a loft, cant cables run under floorboards and switches be put under stairs or in cupboards???

Are you intentionally ignoring that lifting floorboards is not a five minute job in an established house with carpet, LVT, whatever?

Which comes back to my point - if 3/4 wireless signal strength and 70Mb/s is good enough for my use cases, then I'm not going to spend hours of effort lifting carpet and floorboards to get some extra Mb/s that I won't notice or need!

Define and validate the problem before jumping to solutioneering!

Are you intentionally ignoring that lifting floorboards is not a five minute job in an established house with carpet, LVT, whatever?

Which comes back to my point - if 3/4 wireless signal strength and 70Mb/s is good enough for my use cases, then I'm not going to spend hours of effort lifting carpet and floorboards to get some extra Mb/s that I won't notice or need!

Define and validate the problem before jumping to solutioneering!
funny as i didnt think this was your thread and i didnt say that lifting floorboards was a five minute job. i just stated you dont need a loft to do these sorts of thing. People on here are renovating thier properties, fitting carpets floors etc etc so they already have access...... it just doesnt always need a loft.

Also cables can run in trunking along skirting boards and run into existing trunking if surface mounted. im currently using ethernet through power adaptors in sockets, some say their useless, i have never had a problem with them, its horses for courses......

I cabled my house mainly because it was going to be easy, I had a hole above my router that Virgin used to run coax through that I could reuse to get cables upstairs, little trunking in a corner and its out of sight. This then went up into a cupboard and I have external pipes boxed in around the upstairs rooms, so I ran cables through them to get to the other rooms and then ran a couple upstairs into the loft for my media server. All in it cost me about a tenner as I had left over cable from work and just needed to get a few face plates and sockets to terminate onto that I couldn't pickup from work. Only one room I couldn't cable without drilling, so I left that room without sockets as its just the spare room and gets used a couple times a year and the TV can cope on the Wifi.

Edit - Main reason I did it is I work in telecoms and wanted to have a decent connection for POE for phones.

Last edited:
Not a lot of effort though is it, running a few cables…….and we all know its more beneficial than wifi.
Also cables can run in trunking along skirting boards and run into existing trunking if surface mounted. im currently using ethernet through power adaptors in sockets
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: the hypocrisy here is too strong. Not a lot of effort yet you've done a landlord special along skirting board and ethernet power adaptors?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: the hypocrisy here is too strong. Not a lot of effort yet you've done a landlord special along skirting board and ethernet power adaptors?
what you mean a landlord special...i didnt say have a cables a long skirting boards ( i know you struggle with comprehension) i said " you can do"......

Ethernet power adaptors are there to be used and i use them succesfully....others dont, but they suite my needs. As for you..crack on with dodgy refurb and giving us a good laugh with all your pictures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom