With the recent ASUS antics, wise to buy another brand?

Soldato
Is the recent ASUS trouble just centered around one or two poorly considered firmwares, or more significant?

ie: I was planning on ASUS for a new build, so Gigabyte or MSI instead?

Soldato
Is the recent ASUS trouble just centered around one or two poorly considered firmwares, or more significant?

All of them have issues, some worse than others. If I did not go ASUS, I would go with MSI.

Soldato

The ASUS thing was ages ago now (last year sometime) and was quickly fixed with bios updates from AMD limiting SOC voltage to a max of 1.3v, it wasnt just ASUS having the problems though, Gigabyte and ASRock were up there with them too, GN did a video of what was happening and causing CPU's to be killed, and killed multiple CPU using both Gigabyte and ASUS board on screen.

It was only about 5 people out of everyone who brought into AM5 that experienced an issue, so probably not even 1%, ive had an ASUS X670e Gene since the word go and never had a problem.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What are you referring to? The X3D burning problem? That was a very long time ago and so far as I know, is considered resolved with the BIOS updates that restrict the voltage in EXPO/XMP mode.

Associate
Prices and features are my deciding factors for boards, none jump out as being quality purchases as you'll find someone somewhere who's had an issue with them. Warranty practice is a big decider too, but those are also mixed. But in saying all of this, i personally am no fan of Asus and their Asus tax on many of their average products.

Soldato
The problems I have had so far are, Intel NIC is unreliable and USB speed can be slow. I stopped using the Intel NIC and use a USB NIC now and only move data over USB when doing backups. I don’t know if its ASUS or AM5 in general but I have only read about the Intel NIC issue happening on ASUS boards.

Associate
The problems I have had so far are, Intel NIC is unreliable and USB speed can be slow. I stopped using the Intel NIC and use a USB NIC now and only move data over USB when doing backups. I don’t know if its ASUS or AM5 in general but I have only read about the Intel NIC issue happening on ASUS boards.
My Intel NIC on my x570 aorus elite died a while back, maybe 2 years in, or there about.

Soldato
I have no issues with my Asus B650E Gaming E board, probably best board I have had for ages, NIC working great etc so you guys tell me why is mine working fine?...End of the day any motherboard or brand can have issues with individual users, personally I base my decisison on price/ features that I need rather then feedback, because their experience is not your experience.
My favourite brand was Epox decades ago, only board that died on me was MSI, but I would still consider them today. I have had a drive go faulty from Samsung, ram go faulty from Corsair and Crucial and two PSU's explode over the decades and I still have Corsair ram in my current board, point being some hardware will fail eventually regardless of brand, as to issues again down to the individual.

For those that don't know had my motherboard since last October on 1GB package using Intel NIC on MB with Community Fibre ISP and it has been solid with both Virgin and CF ( CF since Jan), 945Mb upload and download with 8 to 11ms latency with CF..
Remember it only takes one faulty part on motherboard or hardware and issues will appear, throw in bad drivers even overclocks etc and whole new can of worms.

I'll say Asus have had great BIOS support, regular updates and it's pretty mature now on my B650E board IMHO. I still have one Epox nforce 4 ultra motherboard working and Asus Z68 motherboard working, both well over ten years old ( for Linux ).

Last edited:
Associate
I have both Asus, on an older setup and a newly built Intel system, with the MSI Z790 Tomahawk. Both stable and solid.
Go with whichever gives you the feature set you need.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom