Wolvers' Home Server Build

Soldato
So the Synology NAS that I bought last year, a DS210j, has been a big succes. It's been one of the best bits of kit that I've bought in years and has become the main storage for everything in the house. It's made my life so much easier in backing things up and making the whole network so much more flexible.

But now it's nearly full, and instead of just replacing the drives with larger capacity ones I've decided that improvements could be made. It was my first venture into a proper NAS and so was only an entry level choice and subsequently isn't the fastest one on the market. It's also just a 2-drive unit so is less flexible in terms of array options and future expansion. This meant I went looking for a fast, 4-drive unit but was immediately having second thoughts because of the £370-£400 price tags I was seeing for NAS units that met these requirements.

After a bit of research into building my own home server I decided that this was the solution I would go with. I could build a fast (faster than any off the shelf unit), 4-drive server for a lot less cash. I just had to put in some time searching for the right components, assembling and setting it all up.

Here's the components I'll be building it with;

Case

CFI-A7879 4-Bay NAS Chassis - £95

388601l.jpg

I knew this was the right case as soon as I saw it. 4 bays in the front, large 120mm fan in the rear and no space wasted with other drives that I would not be needing.

The only reservation I have at this time is the small fan on the PSU. It's really important that the server is as quiet as possible so I may have to attend to that at some point. I'll see how it is when up and running and go from there.

Motherboard/CPU/RAM

Gigabyte GA-D525TUD with Intel Atom D525 and 2gb DDR3 - £95

gigabytegad525tudextra1.jpg

It took some researching to find the right ITX motherboard as it was essential that I found one with support for 4 SATA drives and GB LAN. It was a toss up in the end between the Gigabyte and an Asus board with a large fanless heatsink. With the Asus being around £60 more I felt it was too much and that I can do something with the small fan on the Gigabyte board. Like the PSU fan I will tackle this later. One 2gb stick of DDR3 will go in it so that I have the option to add 2gb more later should I wish. Dual channel memory isn't a necessity for performance in server of this type and the dual core (hyper threading) 1.8ghz Atom is well beyond the spec of any off the shelf NAS.

Hard drives

Transcend 4GB IDE Flash Module - £35

ak166504r.jpg

As the server is going to have lots of spinning platters in it anyway, I wanted to avoid adding another just for the OS. A fully fledged SSD would have been overkill so in the end I've decide on the industrial IDE flash module. It's cheaper than an IDE/CF adapter and CF card and is a very neat and quiet solution. 4gb should be plenty for the OS.

Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s HDD - £65

The new Barracuda Green is the fastest 'green' drive and is well priced. It also draws just 6W under load, making a total of around 30W (the Atom boards rated power consumption is just 15W max!) Two drives will run in RAID1 to begin with.

So the total cost of the build is £225 (without HDDs), a big saving on the off the shelf units. This is helped by the OS being free, more on that and the build to come................

Comments extremely welcome. :)

Permabanned
I was looking at those Gigabyte boards. Did you manage to find the DDR3 for them? It's DDR3 800 or something it takes... I looked everywhere. Could I find anyone selling it? Could I ****.

I was leaning more at the Intel variants as they're passively cooled and I'm trying to quieten down a horribly noisy 60mm or something heatsink fan and change my case to something using a power brick instead of the case PSU (the fan noise is ridiculous).

Last edited:
Permabanned
you should just be able to fit a higher rated stick in and it will down clock to the sppeds the board can support?

I know. Just when researching the board I didn't even realise they made DDR3 in standard sizes at 800. The lowest I'd seen anywhere (and could subsequently find) was 1066.

Soldato
OP
I was looking at those Gigabyte boards. Did you manage to find the DDR3 for them? It's DDR3 800 or something it takes... I looked everywhere. Could I find anyone selling it? Could I ****.

I just ordered DDR3 1333mhz as it was the slowest I could find anywhere and on the assumption that it will happily run at 800mhz. We'll see I suppose.

I was leaning more at the Intel variants as they're passively cooled and I'm trying to quieten down a horribly noisy 60mm or something heatsink fan and change my case to something using a power brick instead of the case PSU (the fan noise is ridiculous). What's the fan noise like on the CFI?

I don't know yet as I am still waiting for the flash drive to turn up before I can get it running. Those two fans are a concern though, but I'm hoping I can do something to slow them down or replace them. I did look at mobos with the brick PSU but they were all more expensive or didn't have enough SATA ports on board.

I have got the case though and I'm pretty happy with it. It's well built and well laid out and feels of reasonable quality. I'm particularly pleased with the amount razor sharp edges on it though!

Permabanned
The tiny fan on my original Atom board makes an absolute racket. And the heatsink isn't big enough to provide adequate passive cooling. Which is a shame. I think if I could get it passively cooled, the PSU in the Compucase 8K01 chassis might be bearable. But for the sake of the cost of an Intel Atom board, I might as well just go for the newer passively cooled board.

Soldato
OP
I know exactly what you're saying, I've got an D945GCLF board in another machine and the little CPU fan on that is pretty noisy. I'm fairly confident that I can slow it down though and it will still cool enough. Well, I'm hoping anyway.

The OS I've decided to use is Ubuntu Server edition. I found a good comparison of Ubuntu and FreeNAS on an Atom based system here;

Build Your Own Atom-based NAS - Part 2 - SmallNetBuilder

It's a little old but still relevant I feel and reading around it's recommended quite a lot, fast and doesn't seem overly complicated to set up.

Permabanned
I'm running Arch Linux on mine at the minute. Personal preference really. I like rolling release and I like the pacman package manager. Also, once you get used to it, you can bust out an install in a matter of minutes. The only thing that slows it down is the pulling in of packages and installing them from the net on the 270.

I use mine mainly as an SSH box that I can log into and run irssi. Stops me having to install IRC clients on multiple machines. Also run lighttpd on it and dump stuff there so I can pull various files off the web server when needs be.

Soldato
Should have gone down AMDs APU route ;)

Their gigabyte boards take 1333MHz DDR3 :p

Looks like an interested build in all honesty, I'm sure we all want lots of piccies :)

Soldato
OP
The server is up and running now. :) It took quite a bit of time to get it all working though, mostly due to my limited experience with Linux command line stuff. :p Just some final tweaking and setting up to do now.

It was worth it though as it's more than double speed for both read and writes compared to the Synology NAS. That's just for starters too as I have only set up Samba shares so far (native Windows access) but will be trying out NFS shares later which is supposed to much faster again, but takes more effort to set up.

Also, it was much much quieter than I was expecting. In fact the noisiest fan was the big 120mm one so I added a LNA adapter to it and the whole thing is whisper quiet now. :cool:: I'll be copying large volumes of files to it later so I'll find out then if either of the small fans starts to make a racket. It's been switched on for a few hours now though so it's looking good.

I'm seriously pleased, even did a jig if I'm honest!

Anyway here's some shots of the build. It's neat little case and the location of the PSU makes the wiring quite easy to tidy.

cimg4188.jpg

cimg4191k.jpg

cimg4192.jpg

As usual comments very welcome. :)

Associate
very nice, I tried to do this about a year ago but couldn't find an appropriate case and a 4 SATA port motherboard for a reasonable price.

In the end I bought an Acer H340, which came with an Atom 1.6Ghz, 2GB DDR2, Windows Home Server and 2x1TB, all for £400.

At the time that was cheaper than I could build and more aesthetically pleasing.

Soldato
OP
In the end I bought an Acer H340, which came with an Atom 1.6Ghz, 2GB DDR2, Windows Home Server and 2x1TB, all for £400.

They look good, and are available for £335 now I see which is good as it comes with those two 1TB drives. I've been able to build this one for £350 with two 2TB drives so I'm still fairly pleased with the build. I'm hoping that running Ubuntu Server will make it a little more flexible too, although so far I've a lot to learn!

Have you looked into the HP Proliant Microservers ?. Very similiar

Yeah, another good option. They have lower spec CPU and RAM though and the case it a bit bigger than I would have liked.

Soldato
I like this a lot. In particular thanks for the model number of the case, every time I've looked at doing something like this previously it's fallen down with the case, and I haven't found time to build one yet. That one looks ideal.

What speeds are you getting with it?

Please feel free to ask any configuration questions here, I haven't used Ubuntu for a while but do have a single disk NAS running Debian quite satisfactorily at present, startup scripts and the like will be similar if not identical.

Associate
They look good, and are available for £335 now I see which is good as it comes with those two 1TB drives. I've been able to build this one for £350 with two 2TB drives so I'm still fairly pleased with the build. I'm hoping that running Ubuntu Server will make it a little more flexible too, although so far I've a lot to learn!

I enjoy the simplicity of WHS, drive pooling is so simple and easy to use. I do see the advantages of linux as I use it all day a work, however for home use I couldn't be doing with the hassle of configuring and maintaining a linux server. I'd be to tempted to keep tweaking it and changing things.

Soldato
OP
I like this a lot. In particular thanks for the model number of the case, every time I've looked at doing something like this previously it's fallen down with the case, and I haven't found time to build one yet. That one looks ideal.

What speeds are you getting with it?

Please feel free to ask any configuration questions here, I haven't used Ubuntu for a while but do have a single disk NAS running Debian quite satisfactorily at present, startup scripts and the like will be similar if not identical.

Thanks Jon, nice to see you around. :) I had 40MB/s sustained earlier, which I believe it good for a Samba share. I intend to try out NFS at some stage as I have read that is faster.

I'm using Webmin so that I can configure it in a browser and it's working very well. Here is a screenshot of the front page in case you are unfamiliar with it;

webmin.png

I enjoy the simplicity of WHS, drive pooling is so simple and easy to use. I do see the advantages of linux as I use it all day a work, however for home use I couldn't be doing with the hassle of configuring and maintaining a linux server. I'd be to tempted to keep tweaking it and changing things.

I totally know what you mean, I'm forever playing and tweaking with all of our PCs. Still, that's the way we like it isn't it?! :p

Nice build mate. Thorough and the product details are helpful.

Let me know if you want to part company with the DS210J mate!

Cheers bud. The DS210j will be going on the MM soon. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom