Women Only Series Created

Transmission breaker
Don
I have no problem with the series. It's a shop window that was perhaps unavailable to some of these drivers.
It will hopefully help push female talent to a higher level.
There will be a time when it's not needed, and will rightly disappear. It will certainly bring in some new sponsor interest I expect too.

Soldato
So if nobody's watching it and most here seem to agree that it isn't going to do much for the people competing in it, then what is the point of it?
As MikeTheNative said few watch standard F3 either so no problem.

Do I think this has legs? Nope. Will it help? Possibly. We've had some good or solid girl racers in the junior categories over recent years. Sarah Moore, Jamie Chadwick and Sophia Flörsch have all won races or championships at a junior level in Britain in the last few years. Sarah Moore (Ginetta Junior champion) has effectively disappeared off the face of the earth, Sophia Flörsch has struggled for sponsorship for most of the last year (despite thumping some highly-rated boys and looking strong in her UK races) but only Jamie Chadwick has continue to improve her reputation.

It's a hard enough business to get a foothold in as a boy and there's plenty of boys that get support and sponsorship already, that that support comes from a series doesn't bother me immediately... if it becomes a long-term project and it starts to look like woman are getting a distinct advantage from it then fair enough, it becomes an issue, but currently I think many girl racers are undervalued and looked over, so if it helps them get into the higher tiers on talent alone (like the winner gets a guaranteed F2 drive or something) then I've no issue with it.

It's undoubtedly discriminatory, but if it helps remove a stigma rather than give girls an advantage I've no problem.

It's odd really. I thought promising female racers would have sponsors jumping all over them, as until women feature regularly in top-level motorsport there would be a silly amount of attention around them (look at Danica Patrick), yet for some reason European-based sponsors and teams seem reluctant to want to back them at all - only Lotus (pre-Renault) saw any value in having a female test driver (one of the least deserving of the lot and one who's done more harm than good for females in motorsport).

Last edited:
Soldato
You sure you're thinking of the right Sofia Floersch? She's had one points finish this year in Euro F3 and certainly hasn't 'thumped' anyone of note. Since she went to single seaters her career has nosedived. I'd argue the fact she is even still able to get a seat anywhere is because she's a woman. If you look at her contemporaries with similar results, their careers have already ended.

Soldato
You sure you're thinking of the right Sofia Floersch? She's had one points finish this year in Euro F3 and certainly hasn't 'thumped' anyone of note. Since she went to single seaters her career has nosedived. I'd argue the fact she is even still able to get a seat anywhere is because she's a woman. If you look at her contemporaries with similar results, their careers have already ended.
It's well known her F3 career this year was poorly funded and started half-way through so it's hardly fair to judge her on that.

In her limited Ginetta Junior time she clocked up 4 podiums (including 2 wins) and nine top-8 finishes in her 10 starts, beating the likes of Jamie Caroline (2017 F4 British champion), Senna Proctor (BTCC winner) and Billy Monger (who some rated well before his accident).

I'm not going to pretend any of them are the next sporting great, but they were hardly slouches.

Soldato
Really? Because that hasn't really worked out in any other part of motorsport, even at the 'top' in F1 where the promotor took many of the big non-alcohol and tobacco sponsors and half the teams are scratching around for sponsors. It hasn't worked for the majority of existing women already in motorsport, and that's before the sponsor pool gets diluted by more entrants.

You seem to think that there's an infinite supply of sponsors and money, waiting to respond. That's not how it has been proven to work.

Anyway, why are these big names not already attracting focus and attention? As for more screen time - has a broadcaster yet snapped up the rights for this, keen to showcase the 6 lots of 30 minute races next year and presumably turn a profit from all the advertising they're going to sell to all the advertisers clamouring to watch the races?

Soldato
Virtually everyone reaches a ceiling at F3 level due to lack of funding (as well as talent). Glib comments such as agents still going over details are meaningless - these women are already competing and already have the opportunity.

Anyway, this is just opinion going up against opinion. Let's see how many women this puts into F1 by 2024 and how well the series is still doing then.

Soldato
It was actually semi-serious, as this has only just been announced, and presuming the reasons for things taking a while to get set up is more constructive that saying, "Don't know, don't care".

I have to fundamentally disagree on that. If I was setting up a gender specific series with the specific intention of getting more visibility for female drivers to encourage others and get more into the sport, the very first thing I'd want on my launch prerequisites would be a media partner / broadcaster.

Soldato
OP
I have to fundamentally disagree on that. If I was setting up a gender specific series with the specific intention of getting more visibility for female drivers to encourage others and get more into the sport, the very first thing I'd want on my launch prerequisites would be a media partner / broadcaster.

Have to be realistic there isn't much of a market for this level of motorsport. I'm sure someone will pick up the highlights and maybe even live rights (BT show euro F3 both live and highlight package), British F3 has highlights show as well not sure about it being shown live. But there is not going to be much TV audience who watch this other than the first race out of curiosity. Despite Taskmaster's thoughts that the organisers want to be taking on F1 as the top dog of motorsport, the people behind this know what to expect in both audience and exposure. Their target is top equip Female drivers which the experience/skill to make it to GP3/F2 level (whether you think this is the best way is another question). More visibility for Female drivers at this level makes no sense as how many F3 drivers can people name?

Soldato
And you think that happens overnight? Broadcasters plan way ahead, even more so these days. It takes time to get deals arranged, time slots planned, etc, especially if there are multiple networks in different countries. They might even be tendering it to several companies. Who knows?

I don't expect it overnight, but I would expect it to be a launch prerequisite given the primary purpose of the series is to increase exposure.

The whole thing seems like it is very rushed and announced without a lot of thought behind it. Have they even confirmed which European circuits they'll be racing at yet?

Soldato
Nope. I'll be surprised if this even gets off the ground to be honest.

How many people, who haven't the first clue about racing, have still heard of Rossi, Hailwood, Sheene, Fogarti, Vettel, Mansel, Schumacher, Hill, Coultard?
Not really comparing apples there. They are all proven talents who competed at the top levels and won.

This would be more akin to asking random members of the public to name any player on their local Sunday league team.

Soldato
Movies and TV series get announced months ahead of time, computer games get years, as do many other things.
Most of the time it's just to get the word out and attention garnered.

Exactly. And they have distributors and producers and publishers all on board before they go. Launching without this is just whistling in the wind. Movies, TV series and gamer don’t get off a draft script or storyboard without any of this and funding in place.

Soldato
OK, naming winners of The X Factor or, if minimal talent is the governing element, people who were on Big Brother/Love Island/whatever Dowie is watching these days, and subsequently ended up in local pantos or switching on Christmas lights in Biggleton-cum-Studley...
Names bring in attention and money....
Again, you're missing the point. I'm almost certain you're doing it intentionally now, so I'm out.

Back
Top Bottom