• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Wonder which GPU makes such wonderful images

Soldato
Most CGI is still done with banks of CPUs, rather than using a GPU. Different and more sophisticated rendering is used (mostly based around ray-tracing). It can take many hours to render each frame, even using a huge CPU cluster.

Supposing that thr floating point performance of a GPU could be used to full.effect for ray tracing, it would still take a good couple of hundred times more horsepower than present GPUs offer, in order for it to be rendered in real-time at smooth framerates.

Associate
I read an excellent article in Byte Magazine a number of years ago that explained in detail how a Silicon Graphics workstation worked, and its 16 or so Reality Engines could ray-trace a scene in real time. And it took just as much effort to display simple text only, as there was no simple bitmap graphics mode. I know scenes then would likely have fewer pixels than scenes today, but I am sure that the most recent workstations (before they stopped producing them) would do a much better job.

Back
Top Bottom