Wondows 11, not upgrading till I have to,

Soldato
Don't think w11 will be possible on my xeon 5670.

Not too bothered. W1s working fine for me, I don't really think about it.

Have been planning to build a new pc in 2022 for a long time anyhow.

Soldato
Really you do surprise me, only bought it as a 8 pack pack 4 years ago, maybe i should have done a bit more research, but its a good system and runs anything that's thrown at it, will be looking in buying a separate module to go on the motherboard if it will take it. ( asus maximus viii hero intel socket 1151]

You must understand that when YOU buy a part doesn't matter one bit, what matters is the date the product was launched

Associate
As a gamer I would upgrade to 11 if there is an advantage in doing so and I hear there is a gaming performance boost with 11, I'll just sit back for a bit and see what happens, nice to know it's a free upgrade as well.

Associate
Looks like my two 10-11 year old PC's will need to be dumped post 2025. I am still on AM3+ CPU's as they do the deed and the best GFX card I have is a Nvidia 770Ti, I can see a lot of people switching to Linux because of this if they don't need windows specific apps. I need to start saving money :D

C64

C64

Soldato
Just the way it goes isn't it, why put up with issues and crashes when you don't have to
windows 11 being mainstream is probably a few years away yet

Associate
As a gamer I would upgrade to 11 if there is an advantage in doing so and I hear there is a gaming performance boost with 11, I'll just sit back for a bit and see what happens, nice to know it's a free upgrade as well.

same if not 10 can be my new windows 2000 for a few years

Associate
The prices on these TPM 2.0 modules is ridiculous on the bay and the rain forest, they were around £15 - £20 but now they are way above. I have a 12 pin TPM connector on my Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 motherboard and I think the best route would be a 12 pin TPM 2.0 module but there is no way that I am parting with that kind of money, it's a scalpfest!

Associate
The prices on these TPM 2.0 modules is ridiculous on the bay and the rain forest, they were around £15 - £20 but now they are way above. I have a 12 pin TPM connector on my Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 motherboard and I think the best route would be a 12 pin TPM 2.0 module but there is no way that I am parting with that kind of money, it's a scalpfest!

Depending on the CPU you may not need the TPM module you may already have a software based TPM and just need to enable it, on Intel it will be PTT. Failing that, order the TPM from somewhere reputable and just wait for it to come into stock, you've got plenty of time to wait until you need it.

Associate
Depending on the CPU you may not need the TPM module you may already have a software based TPM and just need to enable it, on Intel it will be PTT. Failing that, order the TPM from somewhere reputable and just wait for it to come into stock, you've got plenty of time to wait until you need it.
Just took another look at the motherboard manual and the 'Intel platform trust technology' (PTT) was under the heading Peripherals, I didn't even look there, so I'll check that next time I'm on it, thanks for the heads up.

Soldato
I always end up back on 7 for any machine I actually need to rely on :( and that isn't something with a future :(

10 has some nice ideas but the implementation is often pants on head and obviously ignoring any feedback or caring what the end user experience might be and I don't see that changing with 11. I like the aesthetic style of 11 but looks like it has been borrowed from other people's ideas without understanding the design language and likely won't be unified over the whole OS. Again looks like lots of good ideas but too limited vision or effort in implementation to make them actually great in use.

I have no problems with win10 not being reliable and stable as its stable as a rock for me.., I use win10 todo 3d printing and prints can take a few days to print and Im so impressed that it supports my old SCSSI LTO3 drive... You just need to disable the auto check for updates from using the "group policy editor"

Back
Top Bottom