Won't keep windows 10 pro?

Associate
Bought a computer that must have had windows 10 home on it as when I've bought a windows 10 pro key and activated it, it's still going back to windows 10 home when I wipe the pc?

Any ideas?

Associate
Do not count on that working either.
Just upgraded to 3900x and x570.
Win10 was linked to my account and refuses to activate.
Tells me to try again later which it has been telling me for 5 days.
Try to call the phone number in the troubleshooter and it appears to be dead and no longer working.

I hope your experience is better than mine.

Associate
Because the computer was built by Scan, I think the OEM key for Windows 10 home is tied to the motherboard. How do I remove it?
The only way it would be going back to windows 10 home is if there is a licence key for that version hard coded into the BIOS and it's unlikely that custom system builders would do that since it would require being able to modify the BIOS data for several different manufacturers motherboards and then flashing that to the board.

If you did a reset from within windows it more then likely still had the home license stored and went back to that.

Also there have been some issues with windows 10 not detecting drives some have been down to using a USB drive in a USB 3 port and most have been because the windows 10 installer is missing drivers, so you might want to google the motherboard manufacturer and model number adding "windows 10 installer not detecting drives" and see if there are any results.

Back
Top Bottom