WordPress - Adding data classes?

Soldato
Howday folks,

Got a problem that I can't find the answer to because I can think what to Google :)

I've got a website for a company. This company has staff and its staff members create research.

What I'd like to do on the website is have a database driven staff list and research list.

When viewing a staff member you should be able to list their research, and when viewing a piece of research you should be able to view the staff member that wrote it.

The creation of Staff members pages and Research should be possible in the WordPress back end.

Staff members will have a name, contact number, picture and associated research.

Research will have a title, publication date, summary and associated staff member.

This is something I could readily create from scratch in C# with ASP.Net but I'm not sure where to start with WordPress...

Any ideas?
Roy

I've found something that will let me do what I want (Advanced Custom Fields) but I've come up with another problem.

By adding the hundreds of research outputs as "pages" they make it hard to navigate and edit the structure of the actual website pages in WordPress's back end.

Any ideas how I could move these out to a separate section in the menus to make them more distinct from the other pages?

Cha-ching!

Post Types is exactly what I'm after. Already got some custom taxonomies in place to allow easy grouping of the research and staff members.

Cheers gord.

Roy

You're not even supposed to be in here! Gerrooot!

I'm gonna be on OcUK mumble over the weekend btw! First time in ages, but GW2 beta is kicking off so gonna sit in there for a lot of it. Drop by!

Not been on in months! Been upto my neck in work, so if I do pop on its literally for a quick round :p. I'll make an effort to pop on over the weekend haha.

But seriously, if you're making a website which requires any amount of complexity with regards to content types, you need to be stepping away from Wordpress. Get past the learning curve and Drupal is an incredibly powerful CMS, and more importantly isn't a blog system trying to be more than that :p

Not been on in months! Been upto my neck in work, so if I do pop on its literally for a quick round :p. I'll make an effort to pop on over the weekend haha.

But seriously, if you're making a website which requires any amount of complexity with regards to content types, you need to be stepping away from Wordpress. Get past the learning curve and Drupal is an incredibly powerful CMS, and more importantly isn't a blog system trying to be more than that :p

But its also the home of mostly broken modules. In my experience.

But its also the home of mostly broken modules. In my experience.

On the contrary, my experience has been great with it! Avoid development releases and you're generally ok. It's the same as with any system, using community made modules is going to leave you open to issues. It happens with WP, Drupal, Joomla or whatever system you happen to be using.

Unless there has been some significant revolution with Drupal it was one of the most illogically designed CMS' I'd ever seen.

By all means try out both, I did, I'll eat my hat if you choose Drupal though.

Unless there has been some significant revolution with Drupal it was one of the most illogically designed CMS' I'd ever seen.

By all means try out both, I did, I'll eat my hat if you choose Drupal though.

Noob :p

Edit: If you've not tried it for a while, the best youd have used is drupal 6. 7 is great, and with 8 being built using the Symfony2 framework it's going to be great to develop with.

Last edited:
Slanderous lies!!

But seriously, Wordpress at the front, back and code level made a whole lot more sense to me, which was critical for project development time. Drupal had me buried in documentation for things that should be intuitive.

But seriously, Wordpress at the front, back and code level made a whole lot more sense to me, which was critical for project development time. Drupal had me buried in documentation for things that should be intuitive.

This!

I've used Drupal in the past and at this very second in time have this on my messenger window from my cousin who has been tasked with developing something in Drupal:

(2:012:59 PM) stu: ARGH DRUPALLL!!!!
(2:013:02 PM) stu: just had to let that out

Since reading up on Post Types yesterday I now have a fully implemented site that I've developed in my free time over lunch and in the evening. He's still up to his eye balls in documentation...

So thanks for the suggestion but no thanks :)

I am in the middle of building a website for an xbox clan and so far tried wordless and drupal. Wordpress seems okay but bbPress, the forum module is unfinished and has zero documentation. Theming it properly is impossible as the developers reaction to people's comments are incredibly arrogant. Basically "it doesn't need documentation" and "fall in line with how it looks". It also lacks some basic features.

Drupal is just broken, no other way to describe it. Again zero documentation, it's a resource hog, and modules listed as stable are anything but. It's also useless to anyone that isn't techy. Since the other two leaders know nothing about back end stuff this isn't going to work.

Oh well, Joomla next.

I am in the middle of building a website for an xbox clan and so far tried wordless and drupal. Wordpress seems okay but bbPress, the forum module is unfinished and has zero documentation. Theming it properly is impossible as the developers reaction to people's comments are incredibly arrogant. Basically "it doesn't need documentation" and "fall in line with how it looks". It also lacks some basic features.

I used http://simple-press.com/ on a recent project. Worked really well. Did you check that out?

I used http://simple-press.com/ on a recent project. Worked really well. Did you check that out?

I did, but I can't remember why I didn't go with it lol.

I am just going to install a bunch of different CMSs to a spare webhost, set them up, have a play and see which the other 2 people like to work with the most.

The more they can do with an easy front-end the better, so they can add content, moderate etc. I dont mind extra work on the back end if it means I dont have to write all the articals and delete every NSFW post lol.

Pfft, I did say there's a learning curve :p

drupallearningcurve.png

EDIT: PS. No documentation available for Drupal? What?

http://api.drupal.org/api/drupal

Every single function, class and hook is documented there that you could ever possibly need for core development.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom