Wordpress help please!

Soldato
Hi guys. I currently have a website for ease i'll just called it www.myfirstwebsite.com - I currently trade from this website and it is not using wordpress.

I am in the process of designing a better website but I don't want to mess around with my first website therefore I have registered again with the same host but a different username and used the 1 click wordpress installation (Let's assume this website is called www.mysecondwebsite.com). If I was to purchase a theme on this www.mysecondwebsite.com and modify it will I be able to use it on www.myfirstwebsite.com if I use my wp-admin login details after having done the 1 click wordpress install on the first site?

I want it to be pretty seamless therefore I want to design the website first then just switch over straight away hence my retarded way of doing things.

Thank you.

Soldato
There's a little bit more to do than just copying the files because there will be various references to the url in the database which need to be changed.
When moving a wordpress site, I do something like this:
1- Make backups of your old site + new wordpress site (databases + files)
2- Copy new wordpress files to new location
3- Edit wp_options table in database - there's 2 references to the url to change. (you wont be able to login to wordpress using new URL until you do this)
4- Install a plugin to search database and update all occurrences of old url.
I use something like 'Go Live update URLs'.

Soldato
OP
Gosh it sounds like a lot of work for someone with my limited experience! I might just have to try and do an all-nighter and get it done in a day have all the layout/graphics planned out before I take the plunge.

Associate
You could use a plugin called backupbuddy on the second site which will copy everything you need, files and database, then import it on the first site. You will need to remove the WP files on the first site and empty the database, but if that's beyond you, best to create a new database. You'll need the details for the import. All instructions come with backupBuddy, but it isn't free.

Soldato
OP
I fear that is beyond my current capabilities but thanks for the reply maybe one day i'll come across this thread again and know exactly what you mean!

Soldato
OP
Right guys so having looked at Duplicator it seems fairly easily. My only problem is i'm hosted with one.com and I cannot create a database with them they only allow for the database they've setup - i'm assuming it's ok just to use this database as long as I wipe it clean?

Soldato
It might be easier to migrate the www.myfirstwebsite.com address over to the new account where you have setup the wordpress site. Then point this address to the new wordpress site when it's ready to go live.
You wont need to move any files or databases (but you'll still need to use the update URL plugin for wordpress, assuming www.myfirstwebsite.com will be the primary address).

Soldato
OP
Thought i'd reply in here again. I have been messing around with duplicator etc and I seem to get an issue when I migrate a website the website seems to be an older version of the package I just created. Does anyone know what's causing this issue?

Associate
You shouldn't need plugins, moving a WP is really easy.

1) Copy across the files
2) Download the database (should be an .sql file)
3) Using any text editor find and replace any occurences of mysecondwebsite.com with myfirstwebsite.com
4) Upload the database to the target server
5) Make sure all settings in wp-config are correct

I use bash scripts that do all this for me but this is the nuts and bolts of the process ;)

Soldato
OP
Thinking I might do this now... I didn't out of sheer laziness but seeing as duplicator isn't working as it should for me then guess i'll have to.

Soldato
You shouldn't need plugins, moving a WP is really easy.

1) Copy across the files
2) Download the database (should be an .sql file)
3) Using any text editor find and replace any occurences of mysecondwebsite.com with myfirstwebsite.com
4) Upload the database to the target server
5) Make sure all settings in wp-config are correct

I use bash scripts that do all this for me but this is the nuts and bolts of the process ;)

This.
the plugin makes it a very simple process for inexperienced users (when it works! ) but really it's better to learn this process yourself. It's not that difficult, 5 simple steps as above.

(But don't forget to create a user account with permission to access the database)

Back
Top Bottom