Work Bench on Casters / Noggin Storage?

Soldato
Hi folks,

I am currently using two old IKEA dining tables as "work benches" in the workshop. I want to build something proper on casters. Does anyone have a design or real experience of one they like? I have found a few that look OK but then the plans are behind paywalls. Some on instagram have these epic fold out mechanisms etc to make giant tables; or collapse and wall hang.

I also have a bunch of offcuts and stuff I need to store as well. I quite like the idea of a lumber trolley on wheels but same as above, any designs or real experiences of ones that work well? Currently using a Sainsburys bag for life :D

Associate
All depends on what you'll use it for? I made a torsion box almost full sheet size, as I needed it make a couple of large projects, that was about 2 years ago and I'm still using it. I'd suggest looking for very good retractable castors, as I've found the locking ones still move around if you put any real force through them. A simple route is using a solid core door as they're relatively cheap and flat. Heavier the better I'd guess. eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Q2vQZFbu4 . But defo do not make the bottom flush to the floor as you'll kick it all the time

Lumber storage, just a basic A-frame style cart like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0H71D7dSDQ . You could buy the plans if you felt like it, but pretty easy to make just looking at it

Associate
Youtube is great for workbenches etc... over the years I've seen benches built by Matt Estlea, Kings Fine Woodworking, The Wood Whisperer t name but a few, they all have varying designs and can easily be adapted you your own needs.

Soldato
Youtube is great for workbenches etc... over the years I've seen benches built by Matt Estlea, Kings Fine Woodworking, The Wood Whisperer t name but a few, they all have varying designs and can easily be adapted you your own needs.

It definitely is. Here's an example:

And some retractable casters for the above workbench:

It's something I'd like to do to, currently I'm making to with an old door on some old CD racks for legs... :D

Soldato
OP
Mega thank you all! Just needing that kick of inspiration to get me going :) I like the first video @wsurfa linked to as it included a "low duty" shelf which I can envisage my noggins living :D

Soldato
Mega thank you all! Just needing that kick of inspiration to get me going :) I like the first video @wsurfa linked to as it included a "low duty" shelf which I can envisage my noggins living :D
There you go - told you it was easy -bit of ply and fence posts - All those jobs are easy if you have the room already and every tool you would need. Hope I am still here to see it :D

Associate
If you just want a standard work surface, just use 4x2 for the legs and rails and plonk a piece of ply / MDF on it! I have a birch ply torsion type set up - dead light that slots into sawhorses!

Can’t wait to clear the Bermuda Triangle out though and build a fully built in thing.. go down the YouTube rabbit hole and there’s router benches, mitre saw stations, built in dust extraction. Deffo enough to keep you going until you excavate a basement or something!

I don’t know how you find the time!!

V. Jealous!!

Associate
I made a frame around 2 2x4 kallax units. Casters underneath. They fit macpac boxes in very nicely for storage. Top was made of 3 pieces of 12x2 glued and screwed with some 2x2 underneath to make a little shelf for woodworking squares etc and bring them up to the correct height for me. Made a couple more from 2x2 kallax which are the same height and can form a very large bench when all placed together.

Associate
I made a frame around 2 2x4 kallax units. Casters underneath. They fit macpac boxes in very nicely for storage. Top was made of 3 pieces of 12x2 glued and screwed with some 2x2 underneath to make a little shelf for woodworking squares etc and bring them up to the correct height for me. Made a couple more from 2x2 kallax which are the same height and can form a very large bench when all placed together.
Cheers - might give this a go myself. On the list of jobs for the summer .... but still waiting for summer to turn up

Associate
I'd also recommend building some drawer units to go somewhere. Shelves just get a pile on of stuff & dust.

I made a low rent version of these https://youtu.be/4RWNuhBpTck?si=OKvxRcg-x_es0Slr with spacing between drawers based on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw2arZq0hqs (without the high quality materials, planning or finish). Mainly left over plywood from other projects, so a mix of 12mm and 18mm - worth remembering which thickness spacer you're using when setting the drawer slide gaps....ask me how I know....doh!

Handles are easy to make if you have a table saw like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdyVUhZf62g&list=PLbcI4LVagLyzqyuRxKj8rAPObr9lzWmob&index=8

Edit to add: I used some old car paste wax to make the drawers slide easily - same stuff I put on the table saw surface

Last edited:
Soldato
I always found the Nicholson bench pretty cheap and easy to make, but stunningly solid and great for building in adaptations.
Paul Sellers probably has the best noob-friendly 'how to make' series.

Back
Top Bottom