Work : Driving Licence

Soldato
I *very* occasionally drive for work (once a year maybe).

I understand that under some Duty of Care law or somesuch, my employer is required to ensure that I have a valid driving licence.

My employer has chosen to outsource this responsibility to a third party - Intelligent Data Systems.

They require me to sign a data protection mandate which will allow them (IDS) access to my full DVLA records, and they will then store this (validity or licence & endorsements) in a database which my own Employer can then check.

I don't like the sound of this at all, and have refused to sign the data protection mandate. I have offered to provide a photocopy of my driving licence instead.

Am I being unreasonable? What would you do? I don't like the thought of a third party having carte blanche to access my DVLA records now and at any point in the future (they claim "whilst you are in employment with XXXX" but how will my removal from the database be enforced if I terminate employment?)

ps. I'm not normally a tinfoil hatter!

Soldato
OP
Does it really matter? What do you think they're going to do with the data if they have access to it? It's hardly intimate personal details :p

I don't care if my work knows about this.

I do care about giving another company altogether unlimited access to this information. Who audits their security procedures? Who checks they aren't selling on data? etc etc etc

Associate
Crikey all I have too do for blue light driving is take my driving license in every year for them too see I've not been banned or been given any points, they photocopy if there's any changed and then keep it in my personal file.

Associate
I've had no checks whatsoever, the company I work for has just assumed that because I drive to work I have a valid driving licence, I've been asked many times to drive a van to another branch to deliver/collect something and not once have I been asked to show my driving licence.

Back
Top Bottom