Work travel

Soldato
I work in an office.

My job is an office job.

I was asked if I would visit a building site to check some things today.

My hours are 9-5

Today I had to leave at 5:30 and got home at 17:00

Is this counted as work time or have I just got to suck it up?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I would expect to at least see 3hrs 30mins in lieu tbh. Depends what your contract says.

Soldato
How long does it usually take you to get to/from work? If your company is pretty good with flex (breaks/appointments/early/late) then I'd just suck it up, but if everything has to be done by the letter then I would expect time back minus your usual commute.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
If it's one off, then personally, I would just let it be. However if it's going to become a regular arrangement then it's worth checking your contract and speaking to manager.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

For me, it would really depend on how flexible they are when I need something - i.e. would they let me take time off at short notice to deal with a delivery or cover the school run etc? If they were flexible with me then I'd probably just absorb the hours myself.

If on the other hand they were sticklers for everything, then yeah, I'd be expecting the time back as overtime or time off in lieu.

Your contract probably states that you will be required to do extra hours on occasions - but that is the only place you will get an answer on this really :)

Why does everyone also think that they have to abide by whatever is written in thier contract?

Unfair Contract Terms 1977

It has been suggested that this could apply to unreasonable application of mobility and flexibility clauses, changes to hours and job descriptions and even the operation of performance and merit pay systems.

Soldato
Why does everyone also think that they have to abide by whatever is written in thier contract?

Unfair Contract Terms 1977

I like the fact that you didn't bold the part which said "it has been suggested..." :p

To the OP, if I were claiming the overtime I would take into account normal travel time as well before considering the extra hours. After all, normally you finish at 5pm but in this case you got home at 5pm. So in the interests of fairness you need to balance the upside and the downside having done the extra work.

Soldato
Does your company operate a flexible/overtime scheme?

I believe the rules say something along the lines of regular place of work. So if it takes you 30 mins each way to work/home, and you've done an extra 3.5 hours outside of your usual hours, it would seem you're entitled to 2.5 hours of flex/overtime.

There's obviously other factors, do you get annual pay reviews and/or bonuses etc, if you don't then i'd be more likely to push for the overtime.
On the flip-side was this just a one off, or would you suspect these trips to happen again down the line? If the latter, then you should probably speak with your manager about what happens with the excess hours. If they get funny about the hours, you could always insist on arriving at your regular place of work (9am) and then travelling to this other site - as that would all be done within working hours then.

Man of Honour
If you got home at 1700 then based on the time you left to arrive for 0900 you finished a couple of hours early anyway? Or have I misread.

Either way anything like that at my place is TOIL.

Caporegime
If you're paid a salary which is subject to annual adjustment through performance reviews (and/or bonuses too) rather than hourly pay and overtime then I'd say suck it up if it is a one off. It would be silly to quibble over a few hours one day.

If it becomes a regular thing then you might want to talk about either adjusting the hours so you're not expected to be at the client site so early or reflecting the additional work in the form of a pay rise or additional payments each time you're required to go there.

Man of Honour
Personally I'd suck it up, and enjoy being out of the office.

So many people do not have a sense of duty any more, and then complain they don't earn enough or achieve much.... that said it's important not to be taken for a ride either.

However, ask. Tell them, that you are working outside of your contracted hours and ask if TOIL applicable. When I used to travel extensively for work (read, 40+ flights a year), I always booked the first flight because I wanted to be able to get to my destination and start working ASAP, which meant leaving home at 430ish. It was agreed that any time before my core hours could be clocked up as TOIL - so I did, and clocked up several extra weeks a year of leave (ultimately I asked for cash instead).

So there are 2 ways to approach this:

• the "don't be a mug" approach and have conviction in your belief that you are adding value to the company by doing this work - and ask for being recompensed for this out of the ordinary work
  • grin and bear it and realise this may just be a one off and be willing to go above and beyond that call of duty - which is commendable and you're not being a mug by doing this if you understand that option 1 above is applicable

Don't be the guy that whinges about all this work, and then either do nothing about it, or don't see it as an opportunity to get out there and get a better feel for what your company does.

Personally I've waived my rights to the 48hr week because frankly, I enjoy my job, I'm well paid but also I'm paid to work and deliver what I'm there to do. If it means I have to stay late a few times, well so be it. If I don't, then I'll just have to do it the next day. I'd rather be productive and achieve something than just coast. I'm not suggesting you're lazy or anything like that, but just sharing my behaviours and mindset. :)

Man of Honour
If you're paid a salary which is subject to annual adjustment through performance reviews (and/or bonuses too) rather than hourly pay and overtime then I'd say suck it up if it is a one off. It would be silly to quibble over a few hours one day.

If it becomes a regular thing then you might want to talk about either adjusting the hours so you're not expected to be at the client site so early or reflecting the additional work in the form of a pay rise or additional payments each time you're required to go there.

Much more succinctly than I put it. :) Agreed.

Man of Honour
I used to have a job where it was a 25min walk to my main office but sometimes I'd have a 4hr journey to a satellite office. I did arrive a bit late / leave a bit early (which saved the company a lot of money on train ticket expenses anyway) but the total day was 06:00 - 20:00 compared to 08:30 - 18:00.
I was maybe a bit naive but it never really became a serious consideration to ask for TOIL or whatever. My boss (who was based on the satellite office) did long hours also and would also spend a lot of time travelling. I probably did that every couple of months, usually staying overnight to maximise the benefit from travelling. Interestingly however we had consultants that lived a long way from head office and typically they would travel during working time so arrive / leave early afternoon. In general though it just seems to be accepted in a consultancy role that you are expected to do a lot of travel. The issue I suppose was that I was underpaid so was not earning any more than someone based in the same office 7.5/5.

In my current job we have a satellite office that is much closer to head office than where I live so if going there I travel after work and stay overnight. It actually means less travel time on the day I go there, but a trip longer home on the day I leave.

Soldato
I was asked if I would visit a building site to check some things today.
You were asked, not told. You could have said, NO.
Instead you said yes - Use that in your next PDR as an example of how you're willing to put in extra effort, or whatever...

Today I had to leave at 5:30 and got home at 17:00
When I was purely office-based, I had to go to a training centre where they train people from all over the country in the qualification I needed under the new regulations of my role. I had to be there for 8am, which meant leaving at 5am and not getting home until 9pm.
Ho-hum.

Back in the day, if you were getting married, workplaces were considered generous if they gave you the morning off to attend your own wedding.
This is the late 1970s, incidentally, not some Victorian workhouse hell.

Man of Honour
So you go to sleep at what...10pm every single night?

I try to, sometimes earlier if I can, but 10-1030 at the latest. I like to read in bed. I get home around 7ish. So I have a couple of hours of relaxation before bed. And the weekends I do enjoy and relax, have a lie in till about 630-7 - it's amazing! :cool: Then it's 100% family time, no computer, not mobile phones - just family time. It's the best. Hence why I've stepped down from the moderation team, I just don't have time to play on the forums. I'm typing this on my phone between meetings!

If I don't do exercise at that time, I won't get to do it when I get home. So for me it's important. Once you get used to getting up early it isn't a challenge any more, honestly. It's actually great. I try to live a healthy lifestyle too, with a good diet, and little to no alcohol, or other naughty vices. Probably boring to a lot of people but for me it's worth it.

What do you do? Would love to do a job I really enjoy!

I lead strategic projects (as well as change management and in particular innovation) in the infrastructure and construction/engineering sector. It's hard work. Long days, as there is a lot of networking, planning, presenting, preparation work that always needs doing. I also mentor someone so need to spend time with them to help them develop. So yeah, when I'm at work, it's full on, but my weekends are mine.

Back
Top Bottom