Working out MaxDSL speed?

Soldato
Is there a rough way of working out what connection I might be able to get if I move over to MaxDSL? At the moment im on a 1mb connection wit hte following stats;

Connection Speed DS 1152 kbps US 288 kbps
Line Attenuation DS 61 db US 15.5 db
Noise Margin DS 14 db US 21 db

Caporegime
http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm (also in the FAQ). Not perfect by any means.
The only way to know with even the remotest certainty is try it and see. You'll get more, but whether it's enough to get you over the next half megabit a second step in the data rate is a bit of an unknown.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
tolien said:
http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm (also in the FAQ). Not perfect by any means.
The only way to know with even the remotest certainty is try it and see. You'll get more, but whether it's enough to get you over the next half megabit a second step in the data rate is a bit of an unknown.

Cheers Tolien. "A crude estimate of what your line is capable of is 1963kbps (kilo bits per second)". Well, that recons Im likely to get a decent boost. Im going to see what my download usage is this month, to see if I could live with the 50gb cap that my ISP (Freedom 2 surf) has.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
You'll manage the 1.5mbit data rate profile on that line without too much problem. Possibly even the 2mbit profile.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I recon I might go for it. I want to try getting hold of another good quality Microfilter first though. The other day I swapped a standard BT microfilter for the one that came with my Netgear router, and the SNR went up by 5-6. Im hoping I can get another slight gain if I add a decent one downstairs as well.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Disconnect the phone, then check it, saves messing about getting hold of microfilters that may not be needed

Back
Top Bottom