World of Warcraft....with no mates!

Associate
Hi,

Is it possible to play this game alone? or do you need a big gang of players?

I had a quick go last year, but gave up after about an hour. But looking at reviews and player oppinion, I must have missed something!

So i'm giving it another go!

What's the best character for a loner? or do I really need to be in a group :(

Thanks.

Don
It's playable alone upto level 70 but then you don't really have much do to as it focusses on group/raid play after that.

But what makes WoW fun is grouping up with new people and making new friends (particularly if you join a guild). Also if you don't group you'll miss all the low level dungeons which are fun.

Hunters or warlocks seem to be the recommended thing for solo play (though all classes can solo play)

Jokester

Soldato
I solo'd to 70, you will make friends on the way.

Infact I ended up running a guild of over 100 members because I made that many friends on the way to 70.

Some links for you:

http://wow.allakhazam.com/
http://www.goblinworkshop.com/
http://www.thottbot.com/
http://www.wowace.com/
http://www.wow-europe.com/
http://www.wowhead.com/
http://www.wowwiki.com/

Wowhead is an awesome site.

I don't play anymore due to the fact that this game sucks every second of spare time you have in the end. Its a great game if you can put in the hours, if you can't I suggest you look elsewhere.

Edit: If your going solo, give one of the following a try: Hunter, Warlock, Druid, Mage (AoE Grinding is awesome but can take some getting used to)

If you want the security of being wanted in every group at 70 consider a healer or a tank. Far too many rogues and hunters running around that spend hours LFG.

Last edited:
Associate
The whole thing about these games is interacting with people and making friends i think, u can solo a hell of a a lot but im sure it wont take u long to find peeps to team up with.

Associate
Pet classes are always good for a solo player. You got your own 2 man team :) So yeah, Hunter or Warlock is a good choice. Druids are great too, but you might feel the grind at later levels...they aint the quickest levelers out there. But really, any class is fine for solo in WoW. It is very solo friendly if raids/dungeons aren't a big attraction for you.

I would see if you can find a nice friendly guild tho, one that welcomes soloers/casual players, coz then you got the best of both worlds. You don't get hassled to group up all the time but they are also there if you want them occasionally :)

Associate
Dr0ids are good solo players, especially if you spec feral.

The pull of wow is slowing tugging on me, in 6 days I will have my final exam after which I will have nothing to do but chill and I need something to stave off boredom.

Plus its tradition for me to start Wow after exams have done it two years running so far lol.

Associate
OP
Okay. I chose a elven hunter, seemed logical :D

But i'm wondering, Alliance and Horde? do you fight each other? Like, real players Vs real players? or do I need to choose player Vs player server to do that? If so, Is PvP any good or will I just get battered cos i'm new :D

Sorry for all the stupid questions! I have a LOADS of time to kill and I want to get the best out if this so I can decide whether or to continue after my 10 day trial :)

EDIT: @ Eriedor. This is not World of starwars :p

Last edited:
Associate
dr0ids is 1337 name for druids ;p

PvP server means (assuming you are alliance) in contested areas you could be attacked at anytime by a horde, and you could attack a horde at any time. In horde areas a horde has to attack you before you can attack back and in alliance area you have to attack a horde before they can attack you.

On a non pvp server you always have to flag yourself as pvp (either manually or attacking someone who is flagged) to fight a horde.

FYI non pvp servers are for nancies!!! and druids are the bestest class ever!!!

Associate
OP
Eriedor said:
FYI non pvp servers are for nancies!!! and druids are the bestest class ever!!!

You mean dr0ids? ;) You think I should go PvP then? remember I never played this at all!! I didn't even know there were Horde areas and alliance areas :(

Got invited to join some guy yesterday. Just followed him around and killed things for him :D He asked what quest I was doing, but I wasn't sure, lol! Do you both do the same quest by default? or you do your own thing?

I keep getting lost too! can't find people. Can you put them on the map? or do you just learn your way around?

Gonna have a real big session tonight, so I need to make a character that I'm gonna stick with, on a server that i'm gonna stick with.

Thanks for your patience :)

Associate
OP
ganesh said:
You probably just chose the most common character in existence, night elf hunter. It seems that a large percentage of the Alliance are hung up on legolas.

Um, I just took the advice I was given above? what is legolas?

Does it matter if they are common?

Do you want to give me any advice?

Associate
G00SE said:
Um, I just took the advice I was given above? what is legolas?

Does it matter if they are common?

Do you want to give me any advice?

Ok, my first piece would be, don't roll alliance. Most servers are already heavily populated by alliance and this can be very annoying when it comes to queues for the battlegrounds (PvP Arenas). If you roll horde you'll have no problems getting into any battlegrounds and will only have to queue for a few seconds to a few minutes.

As for your questions about pve/pvp servers, i've only ever played on a pve server. But on a pvp server while you are in certain zones it is possible for the enemy at attack you at anytime. So you could be grinding away, or running to do a mission then you get killed by a bored level 70. And if you're unlucky they may corpse camp you.

I really didn't fancy the possibility of dying frequently with there being very little that i could do about it, i'd rather be left alone.

But it's all up to you.

Class wise, as said previously hunters and warlocks are good for solo work and both are fast at grinding with little downtime.

My character is an undead level 70 warlock.

Oh and concerning the whole, night elf hunter thing, go for it, if you want to. It's just that i always think what a boring combination it is, there are thousands upon thousands of them.

Soldato
Inoshishi said:
Edit: If your going solo, give one of the following a try: Hunter, Warlock, Druid, Mage (AoE Grinding is awesome but can take some getting used to)

If you want the security of being wanted in every group at 70 consider a healer or a tank. Far too many rogues and hunters running around that spend hours LFG.

gotta agree with all of that tbh, edited for pertinent points tho.

All classes are viable for soloing (perhaps less so priests?) Hunters / Warlocks are the norm tho.

truth is Paladins, Priests and Warriors (and decent feral druids) are really seriously in demand later on in the game BUT as I recently found out if you get into a well known guild and get your name around... you will NEVER get any peace at all

for the last couple of weeks I've been in one of the best raiding guilds on my server as one of their Main Karazhan (endgame) tanks and now when I log on I can't do anything without people asking me to do this, that and the other, people even ask me when I am on my alts if I'll log my main (god knows how they know who I am :p )

good fun tho :D

Incidentally I play a warrior, but one of my housemates has a priest and complains of the same kind of things, if you know your class you'll go far.

Soldato
Surprised pally's weren't mentioned (maybe they were and I missed it).
It's great for soloing. I'll hit 70 around next week sometime and have VERY rarely hooked up with anyone to do a quest. You can heal yourself, have respectable DPS and wear plate armour

Back
Top Bottom