• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

World War Z - Benchmarks New Vulkan title

Soldato
OP
Tbh Gameworks has grown on me, and at least the less restrictive settings from Nvidia like HBAO+. Playing through Witcher 3, I like Hairworks as well, and the performance impact isn't too bad once you remove the gimping, which AMD has done now automatically (proper tessellation settings etc). Of course, Witcher 3 is more of an exception (in every way).

The problem with Gameworks is the performance, most of the effects already have better alternatives and look better in the process while performing better.
TressFX for me is better than hairworks.

Soldato
IF there is no gimping going on and that is genuine performance with "fair " drivers then that really does show how good the AMD cards are when properly supported.

OTOH if it's just terrible optimisation for NV or using poor drivers and that in a driver release time suddenly NV will get a boost then imo it is just biased clickbait. Time will tell which it is. I hope it is the former, NV need AMD slapping them like they did to intel

Soldato
The gpu utilisation is really low under Vulkan on Nvidia cards for whatever reason. It’s a software problem rather than hardware the gpu isn’t being allowed to do its work

And it’s not just Nvidia with wonky results
Why does the Radeon 7 and Vega 64 have the exact same performance in this game

Last edited:
Soldato
The gpu utilisation is really low under Vulkan on Nvidia cards for whatever reason. It’s a software problem rather than hardware the gpu isn’t being allowed to do its work

And it’s not just Nvidia with wonky results
Why does the Radeon 7 and Vega 64 have the exact same performance in this game

Regarding nvidia that has to be a driver issue, atleast i hope it is, and about Vega 64 vs R. 7 well might just be a bottleneck elsewhere, etc. cpu.

Soldato
Nvidia just released their game ready driver for Anthem so don’t hold out any hopes for this anytime soon.

My 2070 is giving me rx480 performance until then.. which ironically is pretty damn good in this game!

Soldato
Would I be right in saying this title doesn't support DX12, then?

Isn't Vulkan to DX11 a bit of an underwhelming comparison? Haven't purchased this yet, impressive vendor difference none the less.

Soldato
Will probably all change once supporting drivers released. I'd expect a larger gap between the 20 series and 10 series NV cards as shown by Wolfenstein 2, even if AMD stay ahead.

Associate
The interesting thing is, that the game uses GL_KHR_shader_subgroup, which is a very new Vulkan 1.1 feature. I wonder if the hardware is not good for subgroups or the compiler...

Soldato
I tried the new drivers and Vulcan is still a stutter mess.

I ran the benchmark at 4K ultra on a 2070 and got 64fps average on both Vulcan and direct x but Vulcan gave me lower minimum and higher maximums.

The reviews ain't bad at all. It's certainly not excellent but on Metacritic with over 41 review sites it's averaging 73/100. That puts it in the decent catagory. Have to say the player rating is a different story. Even then though you can't take that seriously as there is plenty of 0 scores distorting the numbers.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rage-2/critic-reviews

Permabanned
The reviews ain't bad at all. It's certainly not excellent but on Metacritic with over 41 review sites it's averaging 73/100. That puts it in the decent catagory. Have to say the player rating is a different story. Even then though you can't take that seriously as there is plenty of 0 scores distorting the numbers.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rage-2/critic-reviews

That's probably Epic shills bumping the Metacritic score. I grabbed a repack to try it, bored after a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom