Worlds' biggest Cruise Liner leaves port

Associate
I see the appeal of going on a two week boating trip on a large ish sail boat, doing some real sailing and some steering and manning the sails and stuff would be cool and going around some lesser seen islands in the world with a small group of people, stopping off on tropical beaches and the like.

This is the best!

My parents friends rented their house out and bought a boat to sail around the world in, they've been pretty much everywhere I would want to go!

I've been away with them between Greece and Cyprus which was amazing, so much better than any holiday I've ever been on, just being in the ocean, sailing properly, being able to go anywhere you want, theres so many little places people just don't see, all the back street restaurants, anchoring up anywhere and spending the night star gazing (out of this world, no light polution etc) so many little caves we found.

We went to an volcanic island in Greece as well, just rented out some motorbikes and took us the best part of a day to ride up and back down into the volcano, was immense even if it did smell horrendous!

They've been pretty much everywhere, and are going to the Galapagos islands next, I'm going again with them and can't wait.

I go sailing with my old man a lot and hope one day I will be able to do this (when I retire etc) a fair while yet lol.

(Charter holidays would be a good start as well, if you're not into the whole cruise thing)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Call me alarmist but it doesn't appear to have sufficient life boats, suggest it avoids large masses of floating ice :)

I calculate that each of those life boats needs to carry 300 people...

that or they have large numbers of life rafts
liferafts1.gif

either hidden inside the life boats or in areas designed to get them over board quickly.

This of course is combined with those new fangled invention the helicopter and satellite communications which mean rescue will be both quicker and more effective than ye olde Titanic times.:p

Soldato
OP
that or they have large numbers of life rafts
liferafts1.gif

either hidden inside the life boats or in areas designed to get them over board quickly.

This of course is combined with those new fangled invention the helicopter and satellite communications which mean rescue will be both quicker and more effective than ye olde Titanic times.:p

pffft lifeboats are sooo last year.

More than likely it uses the MES system which I'd imagine is quite a ride...

Soldato
I dont get why people are missing the point of a cruise and saying its a rubbish idea/way to travel, its WAY better than seeing the world via a plane!

I have plans to go on a round the world cruise to see many countries where the cruise ship stays in port for a couple of days, sounds amazing, imagine it..... you get your own room where you can just unpack everything, have stuff everywhere and easy to get it when you need it (dont need to constantly carry stuff), go to bed one night and wake up in egypt, explore there for a couple of days.......cruise to your next destination (while having a fantastic time on board), then wake up in another amazing place, explore there for a couple of days....

Truly beats the hell out of jumping on a plan (when I say jump I mean go to airport.....sit in air port for 3 hours while checking in), fly place, spend day or two there.....go sit in another airport for many hours (while moving between places carrying everything you have in a bag)

Or the 1st option where you have a mobile bedroom on hand that moves with you at a leisurely and relaxed pace ? And when you have finished exploring the worlds amazing places you can just head back to your room, kick back...relax....maybe go for a swim then onto a nice resturant.......yes ill be having some of that life style please!!

Man of Honour
I dont get why people are missing the point of a cruise and saying its a rubbish idea/way to travel, its WAY better than seeing the world via a plane! ...snipped for space

It depends what you want to do. I don't find the idea of being stuck on a luxurious boat such as that for weeks or months at a time particularly appealing at the moment, maybe in several years time I will but right now I'd much prefer to make my own way about the world than be ferried from place to place.

If I was involved in the actual sailing of the boat then I might feel differently, although I'm not tremendously interested in sailing I can at least see the point but few things bore me more than holidays where I'm just sitting about the whole time, I crave active holidays (to a point, I don't mind sitting reading a book or going for a nice meal at times) and always have.

Back
Top Bottom