• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worst ask: Good gaming and good productivity

Man of Honour
One thing I forgot to mention is if you need PCI-e 5.0 functionality - the Intel 14th gen is pretty limited there really anything beyond 5.0 GPU slot support is a waste of time due to the way it steals bandwidth while the 7950X3D gives you some useful additional PCI-e 5.0 slots, though in my use so far I'm yet to see anywhere 5.0 gives any meaningful improvements, for games and stuff often there is no perceptible difference or my gen 4 SK Hynix Platinum is actually marginally faster loading.

Last edited:
Associate
7900 X3D or 7950 X3D. The scheduler issues are largely fixed and they'll own at gaming, whilst being excellent at productivity and far better at energy efficiency. Also on the upside you have an upgrade path, the only downside is that memory stability can be an issue. But you don't need more than 6 GHz for an AM5 system.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
whilst being excellent at productivity and far better at energy efficiency.

Depends a bit - 14700K has 30% lower power use at idle, ~9% higher power use in productivity tasks, the bigger one is gaming where the 7950X3D is over 30% more power efficient and up to 2.5x the performance per watt. Temperatures are actually not hugely different between them though the 7950X3D runs a bit cooler generally.

I've seen the 14700K as low as £370 from reputable places, though generally hovering around the £400 mark or £38x for the KF, while the 7950X3D I've not seen under £550 from anywhere reputable and mostly in the range of £560-600.

Soldato
Nah the 7950x3d has issues since the vcache is only on one ccx so ends up with scheduling issues.

7800x3d is best bet for now since am5 has a future for upgrades in it. Once on 14th gen the only way after is with a motherboard replacement too.

Soldato
I'm gaming first productivity second - but I still do want to do productivity (Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects etc).

Im aware the Ryzen 7 7800X3D seems to be the current darling for gaming. Is it really a pile for productivity though?

The Ryzen is good for productivity but the Intel CPUs are better.

Associate
7950X (non-3d) might work for you. Zero issues about thread scheduling and a bit cheaper than the 3d version.

The 3d cache, while good, does not give as much of a boost on the 7000 series compared to the 5000's as DDR5 main memory is faster (so I heard anyway).

Additionally the 3d cache cores on the 7950X3D do not clock as high because it needs to keep temps in check with all that cache. This would slightly reduce your productivity.

This would be a massive boost compared to your current CPU regardless of 3d-cache.

Edit: mixed up my 79's with 59's

Last edited:
Soldato
I got a 7900 (non-X) when in a similar situation, wanted something good for productivity long term and still a solid gaming chip. Cool and power efficient, decent price too.

Man of Honour
I got a 7900 (non-X) when in a similar situation, wanted something good for productivity long term and still a solid gaming chip. Cool and power efficient, decent price too.

Unless betting on future upgrade path on the platform or need better PCI-e provisioning than Intel's mediocre configuration, the 7900 costs the same or a hair more than the 14700K(F) while generally being a fair bit behind for performance - with the 14600K giving it a good run at cheaper price.

It isn't a great situation really CPU wise at the moment - so many CPUs are good at one thing but lack balanced performance or have another sting in the tail like cost or power use, along with the mixed story as to future upgrade path or PCI-e 5.0 situation, etc. etc.

Soldato
Unless betting on future upgrade path on the platform or need better PCI-e provisioning than Intel's mediocre configuration, the 7900 costs the same or a hair more than the 14700K(F) while generally being a fair bit behind for performance - with the 14600K giving it a good run at cheaper price.

It isn't a great situation really CPU wise at the moment - so many CPUs are good at one thing but lack balanced performance or have another sting in the tail like cost or power use, along with the mixed story as to future upgrade path or PCI-e 5.0 situation, etc. etc.
14th gen wasn't out when I bought, and I wanted to avoid the BIG.little architecture as it can be a pain the ass with some things. The AMD was a bit cheaper too.

Man of Honour
14th gen wasn't out when I bought, and I wanted to avoid the BIG.little architecture as it can be a pain the ass with some things. The AMD was a bit cheaper too.
It is still a very efficient (@ stock) CPU for productivity and gaming, which is pretty easy to cool & manage, so I'd have no problem recommending it still for productivity.

Soldato
I’m going for the 7950X3D, if the 7800X3D and 7950X3D were the same price I don’t think there is anybody who would choose the 7800X3D. Overall the 7950X3D is the better CPU.

Soldato
The 7950X3D is comparable to the 14900K in productivity. The 14900K is supposed to be slightly faster but that is on the LGA1700 socket which is on its last legs. Fine if you already have an LGA1700 motherboard with DDR4, then its a cheaper upgrade.

The 7950X3D is easier to cool too, I'd take a slight drop in performance for lower temps.

Back
Top Bottom