Worst console port ever?

Man of Honour
I just bought Resident Evil 4 for PC.

It's almost worth buying it to marvel at the incompetence with which it has been ported to PC.

The last straw for me, after maybe an hour of grappling with the abysmal controls, was an interactive cutscene in which you have to repeatedly press button 3 and then a combination of two buttons chosen apparently at random. So, for example "5 and 6" will pop up on the screen and you have a fraction of a second to press button 5 and 6 on the PS2 controller, after hammering button 3 on the PS2 controller. Which a PC doesn't have.

Ye gods, what a bodge-job!

Man of Honour
OP
The best are games where you can't actually quit, you have to ctrl-alt-delete or alt-f4 the game to leave, because you don't need to leave on the console versions.

Is Resi like that as well? :p

Yes. Unsurprisingly, the manual does not contain this information, because the manual is written for the PS2. I spent a little while online, having tabbed out of RE4, looking for the way to quit. I didn't even consider the possibility of a game being made so incompetently that there wasn't one other than standard Windows ways to exit a program.

Man of Honour
OP
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9152539&postcount=21

Not the worse by far as if you read my post you will see links to how to fix it and the PC version once patched and using the many high res texture mods & cutscenes is actually the best looking version of RE4 & the best overall gameplay wise as well.

Fair enough it should have had all this to begin with but at least it has been partially fixed and has a strong mod community who have created many quality gfx mods. You can also download mods to change the onscreen gfx to match your gamepad.

I've applied the graphics patch, so the game now looks OK. It's the controls that are the problem. I don't have and don't want a gamepad.

Back
Top Bottom