Worst console port ever?

Man of Honour
I just bought Resident Evil 4 for PC.

It's almost worth buying it to marvel at the incompetence with which it has been ported to PC.

The last straw for me, after maybe an hour of grappling with the abysmal controls, was an interactive cutscene in which you have to repeatedly press button 3 and then a combination of two buttons chosen apparently at random. So, for example "5 and 6" will pop up on the screen and you have a fraction of a second to press button 5 and 6 on the PS2 controller, after hammering button 3 on the PS2 controller. Which a PC doesn't have.

Ye gods, what a bodge-job!

Soldato
The best are games where you can't actually quit, you have to ctrl-alt-delete or alt-f4 the game to leave, because you don't need to leave on the console versions.

Is Resi like that as well? :p

Associate
Sounds terrible mate, really hate when devs do a bad job of converting Console games to PC, especially when they tell you to press the Buttons that you will see on a PS2 such as (Press X) while you are playing it on the PC, just lazy of them really.

Soldato

It's almost worth buying it to marvel at the incompetence with which it has been ported to PC.

The last straw for me, after maybe an hour of grappling with the abysmal controls, was an interactive cutscene in which you have to repeatedly press button 3 and then a combination of two buttons chosen apparently at random. So, for example "5 and 6" will pop up on the screen and you have a fraction of a second to press button 5 and 6 on the PS2 controller, after hammering button 3 on the PS2 controller. Which a PC doesn't have.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9152539&postcount=21

Not the worse by far as if you read my post you will see links to how to fix it and the PC version once patched and using the many high res texture mods & cutscenes is actually the best looking version of RE4 & the best overall gameplay wise as well.

Fair enough it should have had all this to begin with but at least it has been partially fixed and has a strong mod community who have created many quality gfx mods. You can also download mods to change the onscreen gfx to match your gamepad.

Permabanned
RE4 is indeed appalling. The fact that 3rd party mods improve it somewhat doesn't detract from that.

It is also stupid that it is widescreen only, both on consoles and the PC, so playing on a 4:3 or 5:4 screen you get huge borders and can't do anything about it.

Even with patches and mods, there is still no proper mouse support so the controls are way worse than they need to be.

Soldato
Most of the Resident Evil ports have been shockingly poor for the PC. No graphics options of any sort other than brightness/contrast/gamma, horrible controls and no mouse support.

Soldato
Of recent viewings I'd say Bully is up there.

Any game which does not work with >2GB of RAM couldn't have been highly tested. The graphics are quite crap as well. Control system isn't great.

M.

Man of Honour
I thought Lost Planet was pretty poor as all the control hints etc seem to be hardcoded to an XB360 controller, very confusing.

Actually PES5 (I think? Maybe another version) is worse because even when remapping controls, you can't map an input to an action (say, shoot), you have to map an input to a PS2 controller button. Some kind of crazy-ass double-translation system that is completely un-intuitive.

I'm sure there's been worse ports but for pretty major titles (first? DX10 game, AAA series) they were pretty shoddy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Worst ports.......possibly oblivion, because they dumbed the graphics , gameplay and most of the entire game down massively for consoles.

Dumbed down the graphics? At release it was the best looking PC game by far! The gameplay was a step up from Morrowind as well (although this is subjective), particularly the shield/parry system. The only console element that remained in the PC version was the atrocious HUD, of which I have to fit two mods in to get a satisfactory front end in.

Caporegime

Don't play the Wii version then will you....you have to shake the controller and such to dodge out of the way during cut scenes :p

I like it though, better than sitting there like a lemon constantly.

Associate
I second Resi Evil 4 as the worst port. Even the Wii version looked better than it did on the pc :S and the controls are horrible, just horrible I tells ya!

Back
Top Bottom