Worth an extra £60 between 19" and 22"?

Associate
I'm still deciding on getting a new monitor and cant decide between a 19" widescreen and 22" widescreen. The monitor I'm probably getting is an LG multifunction .

Is the 22" really worth an extra £60 or so, or should I just go for the 19" widescreen version and use the money saved for my 360 wireless adaptor and some cash towards a new mouse?

Associate
OP
Right now I'm fairly happy with 15.4" on my laptop. What I'm wondering is - is the extra 3" difference really noticeable between a 19" and 22"?

I have a 19" widescreen LCD tv at home which seems about right but its not really a proper monitor so I cant decide from that, its horrible to use due to really bad picture quality with a PC (its only got a VGA input so needs to use a converter)

Associate
Right now I'm fairly happy with 15.4" on my laptop. What I'm wondering is - is the extra 3" difference really noticeable between a 19" and 22"?

The res is more important that the screen size.

19" -> 1440 x 900
22" -> 1680 x 1050

No point in having a big monitor if you don't have a high resolution to go with it. The 1680 x 1050 res starts at 20" I believe.

Associate
OP
Ah right, I see. You reckon I should go for the 22" over 19" then? My laptops resolution is 1280x800 and tbh doesnt seem too bad at all. What difference in appearance does a higher res give you exactly?

Associate
Ah right, I see. You reckon I should go for the 22" over 19" then? My laptops resolution is 1280x800 and tbh doesnt seem too bad at all. What difference in appearance does a higher res give you exactly?

It means you can fit more on screen; there will be physically more pixels. In terms of appearance though the image is not any different in quality unless of course the pixel count was out of sync to the size of screen. For example 1440 x 900 on a 22" would look gash (it would be stretch and out of focus) whereas 1680 x 1050 would look great as it is the natvie for that size (in widesreen of course)

Soldato
I have a friend that has a 19" widescreen, (well 2 of them actually). It isn't bad if you don't do anything intensive with your PC, but if you are the kind of person who needs a lot of windows open at the same time or does photo work, then the bigger the res the better.

Personally using a 24" and a 20" in dual mode, because I do photo editting.

One thing to think of though, some people prefer smaller resolution monitors (or use HDTV's) because its cheaper graphic card upgrades for them - less res less power afterall.

Associate
OP
hmm I see. I'm using a Leadtek 8800GT 512MB card and use the computer mostly for internet/uni work (mostly word processing) but also use photoshop a fair bit and occasionally Premiere Pro for video editing for uni work. I also like to game. I'm not sure which I prefer, most of the screens I've used are around 19" (as is the tv I'm using now but it looks *****) which seems about right. I'll have a look around PC World or something and have a quick go on one with a 22" screen if possible so I can see what its like for every day use.

Soldato
once you move up through the resolution and screen sizes most people wouldnt dream of going back. i went form a 19" 5:4 to a 22" widescreen and quickly got used to it. but then i found some obvious flaws in the display (which are apparent with almost all 22" screens) and bought a 24". the 24" is big and imposing at first but again you quickly get used to it. 24" is perfect and the image quality was far far better than my 22":)

or it was perfect. untill i did a sill thing and went in the apple shop and happened to spot a 30" apple display.......

Last edited:
Soldato
What are the flaws in almost all 22" screens exactly?

well, they are almost all TN-film panels, which compared to other types of panel aren't as good with colour reproduction and especially with very dark colours. also because of the size and resolution, the pixels are pretty large and so isnt as sharp as a 20" widescreen of the same resolution. A 24" widescreen has both a higher resolution and smaller pixels. combine that with a better quality panel (like the MPVA panel in my 24" DGM) and you get a display thats sharper and more colourful with better black performance. if i couldnt buy a 24", id rather have a 20" than a 22" really, especially if its a better quality panel:)

Associate
OP
Ah cool, I see. Know what the quality of panel on the LG Multi Function 19" is like? That seems like the best bet at the minute as it has great specs, gets some good reviews and has loads of inputs so I can connect my PC, xbox, freeview etc to it.

Soldato
hmm I see. I'm using a Leadtek 8800GT 512MB card and use the computer mostly for internet/uni work (mostly word processing) but also use photoshop a fair bit and occasionally Premiere Pro for video editing for uni work. I also like to game. I'm not sure which I prefer, most of the screens I've used are around 19" (as is the tv I'm using now but it looks *****) which seems about right. I'll have a look around PC World or something and have a quick go on one with a 22" screen if possible so I can see what its like for every day use.

You want a 22" screen mate, trust me, 1440x900 is tedious for word documents and multitasking, and thats from someone who uses 1280x1024, I would much rather the 22" 1680x1060, loads more room to play with, loads better for photoshop, premier and word document.
You definately want the 22" purely for the premier uni work. The TN panels aint really that bad, you get what you pay for, most people cant tell the difference, im willing to bet you are one of them, since you dont seem anal about resolutions

Associate
OP
hm fair enough then I think I'l probably look for a 22". TBH I'm happy with my 15.4" 1280x800. We have huge monitors in the animation labs at uni, its a bit too big for my liking. I think they're 24".

Do you reckon I could get a better quality/value monitor than the LG Multi Functions for the same price (about £220 I think)?

How about this Samsung? Seems to have good specs and is cheaper than the LG, but isnt as flexible in terms of input, only has VGA and DVI from the looks of things. I guess I could connect my xbox via VGA but then I'd still have to bring a seperate tv to uni to use for freeview box, with the LG I could just use the monitor for everything.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmm. So confused as to what to go for now, too much choice..

Would you say you can get a better quality panel than that on the LG multifunctions for the same price/less, or are LG generally of good quality?

edit - just noticed LG do a 20" version of the multi-function. It has a higher res at 1680x1050.

Would a 20" 1680x1050 be better than 19" 1440x900?

Sorry for all the questions, its just I've only ever really used my 15.4" in 1280x800 extensively so its all I'm used to so I want to get things right when I upgrade.

Last edited:
Soldato
once you move up through the resolution and screen sizes most people wouldnt dream of going back.

That's very true. I was perfectly fine on 1280x1024 until I decided that getting a 22" 1680x1050 monitor would be a nice idea. Now I get frustrated when I have to use a 'normal' sized monitor. It's probably the best upgrade I've ever made for my computer because I notice the difference all the time, not just when I'm gaming or doing something intensive.

Back
Top Bottom