Worth fixing air conditioning?

Associate
The air conditioning on my 2010 Peugeot 308 has stopped working, unfortunately the condenser is leaking so have been quoted £280 to replace it and regas. Two questions: 1) Is that a fair price? 2) Do you consider it to be worth fixing at that cost? It's getting quite warm now so it would be nice to have, but it's also quite a lot relative to the value of the car...

Man of Honour
What does the value of the have have to do with it?

Can you buy a reliable functioning car with working Aircon for 280 quid?

Soldato
Ring a few garages and ask for a quote, if they are pretty close then you have your answer. But yeah I'd get it fixed, cars without A/C are not cool! :p

Associate
OP

I suppose it doesn't really. I was thinking in terms of it being a lost cost when it comes to selling compared to a higher value car where buyers would actually pay more for it to be working.

Soldato

Well if the car is worth £300 then that does become a factor in my eyes.

I suppose it doesn't really. I was thinking in terms of it being a lost cost when it comes to selling compared to a higher value car where buyers would actually pay more for it to be working.

How soon do you plan to sell?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
The price sounds fine but you could also quite easily bring it down by either buying a cheap new condenser or one from eBay and fitting yourself then having the system regassed. You shouldn't work on a gassed system so might also have to allow for it to be purged first (though it may well already be empty I guess)

Probably end up circa half the price you've been quoted.

Last edited:
Soldato
The air conditioning on my 2010 Peugeot 308 has stopped working, unfortunately the condenser is leaking so have been quoted £280 to replace it and regas. Two questions: 1) Is that a fair price? 2) Do you consider it to be worth fixing at that cost? It's getting quite warm now so it would be nice to have, but it's also quite a lot relative to the value of the car...

I'd pay the £280. For me, aircon is a basic requirement these days.

Associate
If that £280 could be put towards a better car I might be tempted to put up with it.
But if your likely to still own it next summer I would get it fixed.

Id be reluctant trying to fix it myself.

Soldato
A condenser will be around £50-100, re-gas around £50. So if you consider labour as well it's probably not too unreasonable depending on what has to be removed to replace the condenser. May as well change the drier at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom