Worth getting a Macbook now?

Associate
I am in limbo here.

Currently typing on an i3 350, 8GB, 80GB Intel SSD, 310M Nvidia laptop and wondering whether to get a Macbook or not.

Can't really afford a Macbook Pro and I was going to get the Macbook second hand anyways. The Macbook would be a downgrade in CPU but I would upgrade the RAM to 8GB and put a SSD in there...so would the mac experience be an upgrade overall?

Next, i hear a "refresh" is coming soon, so should I wait, considering I'm buying second hand I don't think the prices will go down that much will they?

I've seen a 2011 Macbook advertised for £550 which is in good condition....do you think its worth it given that I could get student discount?

Permabanned
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Macbook is a don't buy right now. Possible refresh coming up. May see Core i* in it.

You'd need to ask someone with experience about the student discount though, I'm clueless in regards to that. However, I think it's only available for hardware purchased from Apple either in store or through their online store and not for refurbished hardware. But wait until someone can verify that or not.

Associate
OP
What applications will you be running that will need you to use 8gb RAM on a macbook?

Virtual Machines (Plural)

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Macbook is a don't buy right now. Possible refresh coming up. May see Core i* in it.

You'd need to ask someone with experience about the student discount though, I'm clueless in regards to that. However, I think it's only available for hardware purchased from Apple either in store or through their online store and not for refurbished hardware. But wait until someone can verify that or not.

I will be buying second hand as I can't afford a new one so will have to get the last generation one anyways.

When I mentioned the student discount it was referring to whether it was worth paying £550 for a used one when I can get a new one for £745 from apple student discount.

Permabanned
When I mentioned the student discount it was referring to whether it was worth paying £550 for a used one when I can get a new one for £745 from apple student discount.

If it looks to be in good shape, then personally I would go for the second hand option. All my own Apple hardware is second hand, though through the Apple refurb store.

Permabanned
Is £550 a good price?

Well there is no 2011 (Polycarbonate) Macbook (as it hasn't been refreshed yet) so what they're selling is probably a mid 2010 (if it has the 320M graphics, it's 2009 if it has the 9400M graphics). Just because they bought it in 2011 doesn't make it a 2011.

As for the price, it entirely depends on the condition. But I would want one in pristine condition for that price with original boxes, discs, paperwork and manuals. Allowing for a few aesthetic scratches or marks. Severely worn palm rests and faded keycap legends and things would start me on the path down to a 450 - 520 offer.

Soldato
If you are going to a slower cpu but equal ram and hdd then I suspect yes it will overall be a little slower. If you laptop is too slow, consider a less intensive anti virus which usually is the biggest bug bear with windows 7. I am assuming your running win 7 which is not that much more bloated than OSX feels.

If you are doing this for performance increase it just doesn't make sense. Why do you need OSX?

Soldato
What model is your laptop? Could be the opportunity of a CPU upgrade in it?

I agree with the "you'd be mad to change unless you require OSX" line. That's a very nice spec you have currently. Once the shiny new purchase feel had worn off of the Macbook, you'd probably be regretting the purchase.

Soldato
I love all the hyped up fanbois just making specs up on Macrumors.

Lion and the revised machines willl turn up when it does, hence no pre-announced dates. Apple being Apple they'll have stock instore within a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom