Worth getting a MacBook?

Soldato
I've wanted a Mac for ages but could never really afford one.

Now I can technically afford one, it'll be a bit chunk of money but I wouldn't starve or anything.

Thing is the only thing I need a laptop of any sort for is writing, and even then only for convenience. I've talked myself into getting a laptop again - haven't had one in a couple of years - and I just think I might as well get a Mac.

So I talk myself into getting a Mac and then it's well I might as well get a MacBook Pro and I might as well get the 15" one.

Really though, what's the advantage of the extra 700 quid or so of paying 1500 quid for a MacBook Pro compared to say the one around 800 pounds or whatever?

Will I notice the difference, like at all? Or is it really only if I'm properly editing film and pictures on a daily basis?

Cheers

Soldato
Do you really need a laptop? Because if you don't, forget this all right now. Wait a couple of weeks and pick up a Mac mini to go alongside your current PC (if any).

As for Pro vs Air, stick with the Air. No brainer now that you can get 8GB of memory in them.

However, on the Mac front...unless you want to switch to using a Mac as your main machine (ie. use this system with an external display as your main machine at home), I wouldn't bother spending the extra money to buy a Mac. The competition offer alternatives that are pretty good for less money. Why spend so much money for what will be a secondary system?

Soldato
^ o_0 to billysielu's post. i only have a laptop. does everything i need. i can take it with me where ever i go and does everything i need it to. i wouldnt want a desktop. probably ever

matters what you're going to do on it. if typing and just surfing. get a basic one.

if you're going to start using intensive stuff then sure, get a pro. depends how much money you want to spend

Soldato
Well I stand by macbooks always end up being the best laptops (owned 2 macbook pros, one 15" and currently a 13"). They are worth it if you get the use out of it, so my current one has been worth while as I have had loads of use out of it from uni. That's over now and it is sharply going to become an expensive luxury again sadly.

My plan is to wave good bye to the macbook and my pc, get a mac mini (for my osx obsession) and an ipad to cover bed usage and walking about.

But my plan is a digression a bit, the real question is if a laptop at all is worth it. I really enjoyed having the 15" pro as my only pc for a few years, that was amazing as it went everywhere and I was never lacking in getting hold of my stuff. If you don't get the usage out of a laptop then I really wouldn't stretch to one (especially a mac). But if you think you would use a laptop a lot, get a nicely specced air, I still wish I had sorted out an air instead of the 13" pro as the dvd drive isn't that useful.

Associate
Get an Air over a Pro if you don't intend on using it for anything intensive. The 15" MacBook Pro is more like a desktop replacement, so it's pointless if you have a good desktop and just want something to type away on if you're away from your desk. MacBooks to me are generally the most easy to live with laptops, the responsive trackpad, keyboard and the way workspaces are handled (with gestures on the trackpad) feel much nicer than the Windows laptops I've used.

Soldato
if you really wanna get a laptop just for writing id say get the Air. alternatively why not just get an ipad with bluetooth keyboard case. ultimately lightweight and small.

or you could pick up a polycarb macbook for 400-500 easily.

Soldato
Its horses for courses... I work wise can never use a mac book air as its simply not powerful enough, I needed something I can take off site and work at different locations. So I got a mbp.

At home, I got an imac as I dont need a mobile mac; but having said that I have my work mbp, work mb, my own personal laptop and tablet. If my imac gets too slow/old, its likely to be replaced by a mac mini.

Just decide what you really need, but please don't get a mac and install windows on bootcamp and only use the windows side. as that's a lot of money for cosmetics.

Associate
Been looking into this and really want to go for the 13" Air model with 8gb ram.

I'm holding fire until the event on the 23rd though as I guess there's a chance something could be announced that proves a better option.

Does anyone know how much usable space there is on the 128gb Air model once the Mountain Lion installation and pre installed apps etc are taken into account? My only concern right now is that 128gb might not be enough.

Soldato
Been looking into this and really want to go for the 13" Air model with 8gb ram.

I'm holding fire until the event on the 23rd though as I guess there's a chance something could be announced that proves a better option.

Does anyone know how much usable space there is on the 128gb Air model once the Mountain Lion installation and pre installed apps etc are taken into account? My only concern right now is that 128gb might not be enough.

It's about 8GB installed.

Associate
Get a macbook air!!!! They are brilliant :D

I have had mine for a few months now and it really is fantastic and I would recommend one to anyone without a doubt. The SSD means everything is ultra responsive, the battery lasts ages and it seems to handle everything without any noise or fuss at all!

Associate

Its about 120GB free I think it was :)

I have my music and iPhoto library on the air and I have a WD passport mini external hard drive for my aperture library if I need it.

Associate
Its about 120GB free I think it was :)

I have my music and iPhoto library on the air and I have a WD passport mini external hard drive for my aperture library if I need it.

Cool does it have to be a FAT32 external drive or will they handle NTFS? I want to order it now but just don't want to see some ultimate new device announced on Tuesday that might prove more suitable for my needs (doubtful I know)

Soldato
A laptop is essential for me and a lot of other people.

I've spanked £1600 on my latest MacBook Pro. I'd love to be able to have a desktop like a iMac but I'm constantly on the move and need it when I go away on shoots.

I went for the normal MacBook Pro as I need the extra storage capacity that the normal one offers and with using a hard drive caddy i can have the maximum amount of in built storage available.

Soldato
Cool does it have to be a FAT32 external drive or will they handle NTFS? I want to order it now but just don't want to see some ultimate new device announced on Tuesday that might prove more suitable for my needs (doubtful I know)

You can read NTFS natively, and write with free or paid software (you can enable writing natively but it's buggy).

The 13" Retina is going to be released shortly. It will be similar in size/weight to the Air with a faster CPU, more ports and a much better screen.

Back
Top Bottom