Worth getting an iPhone? Also 3G vs. 3GS?

Associate
Am with everybody here. My 3g with IOS4 is slow poop. I hate it.

Go for a 3GS if you really do want an iPhone.

Associate
Yep agreed with above iPhone 3GS runs ios4 sweetly. I decided to just move from a 3g to a 3gs when everyone started to offload them for the iphone 4 a couple of months ago. As you said, you're happy with 8gb so you would be looking at a new one. If you don't mind a used model though, seek out a well looked after flagship 32gb model. Great for video on the fly.

Battery life for me is around a day and a half with several hours of 'tinternet, texting and calls. Usually plug it in each night though.

Soldato
Kinda hoping they sort the 3G problems tbh, it's unacceptable for an update to come out that ruins a phone that was on sale even after the update was released. I bought mine in January and I feel ripped off, imagine buying after the 4.0 update...

Associate
Kinda hoping they sort the 3G problems tbh, it's unacceptable for an update to come out that ruins a phone that was on sale even after the update was released. I bought mine in January and I feel ripped off, imagine buying after the 4.0 update...

The cynic in me would suggest that Apple might release an update which cripples the 3G. Leave in place for a few months to milk the most out of it and make as many users upgrade as possible, and then "Oh look, we've fixed it" with the next major release.

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if the 3G performance issues are ironed out in 4.1 or 4.1.1.

Another thing to bear in mind with secondhand 3G models is that the batteries will be starting to degrade by now. When I gave my 3G for my g/f it was just about managing over a day on a charge, at launch it would handle a good 2-3 days of light use.

Caporegime
OP
Well, I'm currently in the process of selling any old tat I can find around the house to finance picking up an iPhone. CeX have the 8GB model for anywhere between £280 and £350 depending on how good the condition is, while on ebay they seem to crop up around the £250-£300 region, though obviously there's no warranty there and you take more of a chance. I've seen 16GB models ending up at less than £300, so I guess once I've got the cash I'll just bid on whatever is ending soon and see what happens.

Soldato
Well, I'm currently in the process of selling any old tat I can find around the house to finance picking up an iPhone. CeX have the 8GB model for anywhere between £280 and £350 depending on how good the condition is, while on ebay they seem to crop up around the £250-£300 region, though obviously there's no warranty there and you take more of a chance. I've seen 16GB models ending up at less than £300, so I guess once I've got the cash I'll just bid on whatever is ending soon and see what happens.

CeX have been alright with me in the past. I'd head down to your local shop and see what they have on offer and inspect the different iPhones they have in stock. :)

Caporegime
OP
If cost wasn't an issue I'd recommend the i4 as I've found the transition from the 3G to it absolutely remarkable.

However, between the 3G and 3GS definitely go for the S.

Unfortunately, there's about £200 of difference at least, so it's fairly prohibitive.

Aesthetically, I prefer the 3GS anyway. I don't like the squared off sides of the i4.

Man of Honour
Oh no I completely understand your reasoning. :) I was just expressing how surprised I was at the difference in performance. Then again I noticed it between the 3G and the 3GS. :)

Enjoy it! And good luck with your hunt.

Soldato
I've just got my wife a brand new in box sealed iPhone 3GS for £350 and very impressed with it. The sensitivity of the screen is great and some of the apps are great, personally I'm getting a Samsung galaxy s as I prefer the openness of the Android OS as I don't want a jailbroken iPhone but if Android wasn't around I would be more then happy with a 3gs

Soldato
I noticed a dramatic speed bump when I changed from a 3G to a 3GS; a 3GS is perfectly adequate to run iOS4 and will be the best choice for you.

Soldato
Unfortunately, there's about £200 of difference at least, so it's fairly prohibitive.

Aesthetically, I prefer the 3GS anyway. I don't like the squared off sides of the i4.

Yep go with the 3gs, I've compared my 3g to a work mates 3gs and the difference is noticeably faster. A good few second quicker and a much more lag free pleasant experience.

What are you waiting for? Go get it ordered! :p

Caporegime
OP
3. As above, if you play your cards right you can get a 16Gb 3GS for £250-300 which IMO is a bargain.

Well, having raised funds by selling an old guitar, some Technic Lego, my old iPod dock and a briefcase, I've just managed to buy a 16Gb black 3GS on O2 for £258 inc, which seems a fairly good deal.

Slightly apprehensive as the guy I bought it off only has 4 feedback, but he's got no bad stuff and it looks like he just doesn't use ebay much. I've e-mailed him about upping the postage from RMRD to RMSD (don't want it getting clunked in the mail with inadequate insurance), so if his reply seems off kilter or I smell a rat I'll pull out.

The back of the phone looks a bit scratched, but I'll be putting it in a heavy duty case anyway (I've dropped my touch twice in a week and just ordered a case for that...) so I won't see it anyway. It seems funny that the back of an iPod is so prized so everyone sticks a case on it, but then you don't see the damn thing anyway. :confused:

I was looking at paying more than that for an 8Gb model, so it leaves me a bit of cash to spare if the battery needs replacing or anything like that.

Also slightly nervous that I'm massively duplicating functionality by having both an iPhone and an iPod touch, but I have over 30Gb of music, and a 32Gb iPhone is already hilariously expensive, so I figure it's worth having both, as it'll be the touch that gets filled with the media and the iPhone that does the other stuff, not to mention that only the iPhone is any use for anything requiring an Internet connection once I'm away from a Wi-Fi network.

Now I just need to ride out my wife's sneers after I got all sour grapes about the iPhone being a waste of money when I couldn't afford one. :o

Xee

Xee

Associate
I've just got my wife a brand new in box sealed iPhone 3GS for £350 and very impressed with it. The sensitivity of the screen is great and some of the apps are great, personally I'm getting a Samsung galaxy s as I prefer the openness of the Android OS as I don't want a jailbroken iPhone but if Android wasn't around I would be more then happy with a 3gs

You should both get an iPhone, so that your phones interact better. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth games etc. Only have to buy the games/apps once if you both use same iTunes account ;)

Caporegime
OP
Woo, it made it. All working fine, though the back is quite scratched. I think the glass may have been replaced, as there is a tiny mark in the upper middle of the screen that I can't scrape off, but I'm not too fussed.

When I put in my SIM it told me that I'm not on an iPhone tariff, but I have unlimited data on my £20/month contract, so I assume that won't be an issue.

Soldato
I4 is the only phone I have had I will keep for a bit and i have had a lot of phones over this year but loving this phone by far the best phone i have owned my list from this time last year.

All great phones below specially the 2 android ones but the I4 feels far more polished and the quality of the HD recording is one of the plus sides for me as its something I been after, i had to reset me bro's old iphone 3g to sell and i couldn't believe the difference the screen is truly awful and the phone on the whole is so slow wouldn't ever sell this and go back to a 3g/3gs.

LG Viewty Smart
Iphone 3g
HTC Hero
Motorola Milestone
HTC Desire
Samsung Galaxy S

Last edited:
Soldato
Sisters 3gs isn't as snappy as the 4 since she went on OS4, the iphone 4 is 32% faster than the 3gs and obviously has double the ram which will be the important factor now OS4 supports multi tasking.

I personally wouldn't pay the price the 3gs is going for they hitting £300 for second hand on ebay way over priced for essentially a 3g with a faster cpu more ram and a better camera and video and more capacity, if my choice was a 3gs i would go on Android you can get those phones for that sort of price Desire/Galaxy S and they superior in every way to the 3gs.

I do agree with the 3g though its dire on the update so slow i guess the slower cpu and less ram makes it a poor choice now or maybe its something apple have intentionally done to make people
upgrade.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom