Current rig:

DS4 965p
e6300 @ 3ghz (430 fsb)
freezer pro 7
geil ull 6400 2x1gb
7900gtx
2x250gb seagate .10 (1 needing RMA)
x-fi xtreme music
budget psu (coloursit 550w - don't knock it, its run this setup hassle free for a year)

Will be starting on a watercooling setup v soon, most likely in the NZXT Apollo case.

Have persuaded my dad to give me a small budget (not sure what it'll be yet, prolly max of £500) to streamline the PCs in our house, hence am thinking stick my current rig as the house/media/server PC in a better case and get some upgrades. I will not be upgrading my gfx til the next big card comes out, don't think its worth it.

Thinking of getting:

p35 ds3
e6750
geil ull 6400 2x1gb (so when I upgrade again I can stick these in the house pc to give it 4gb)
new psu
maybe new soundcard

Then when x38 mobos with pci express 2.0, plus some affordable penryn quads come along I'll upgrade to that, and hopefully a suitable gfx card will be out shortly after.

I just want to be able to push a few more pixels since I'm going up a rez from 1440x900 to 1920x1080 when I get my samsung m87.

So is it worth doing, or should I use my watercooling setup to cool my current rig and wait for the x38/quad/gfx upgrades I want? Any thoughts? Also could do with a decent modular PSU anyway for the new case setup, any suggestions?

EDIT: Using for gaming/hd+sd video/music playback/music recording+production. Current favourite game is Company of Heroes, eagerly awaiting Crysis, Bioshock, Left 4 Dead and HL Ep2.

Last edited:
Associate
If you want to push more pixels then you'll need a better graphics card, rather than any other upgrade. Also I would get a cheaper CPU, rather than that top of the range one. Both an e2160 and a e6750 have 2 cores and can do 3GHz, it comes down to how much you want to spend.

otherwise looks good.

Associate
OP
Yeah I know the best upgrade would be to my gfx but I really can't bring myself to upgrade a £350 card that I've had for less than a year and half, when I'd need to spend more than £200 just to see some sort of jump, particularly when a) hardly anything supports dx10 b) still not ready to go vista and c) the next big release from nvidia will probably rip on the 8800gtx.

On the cpu, I'm hoping that a e6750, like the e6300 and e6600 be the best bet in terms of value, considering I'm gna OC it on water...but I guess I'll prolly have to wait til they're actually available and results come in.

Associate
Fair enough, and the 7900 GTX isn't exactly slow lol.

I would have thought a e6320 would be the best value 4mb cache chip. If you could put your northbridge under water as well you could get that chip running fast...

Back
Top Bottom