Worth taking 4S to Apple Store - Battery Life

Soldato
My iPhone 4S has recently started to have the most atrocious battery life.

I've tried turning off Location Services, Bluetooth - even keeping it on Airplane mode when listening to music. One charge barely lasts half a day now with the slightest bit of use on virtually minimal backlight.

Is it worth booking an appointment at the Apple Store? Will they likely swap it for a new one or want to replace the battery - either way I'm not fussed I'd just like it sorted. I'll very likely buy the new one when it comes out tomorrow but I don't want to sell this one on to someone with the horrendous battery life it has at the moment.

Many thanks

Soldato
I've swapped my iphone 4s twice now, very simple.

Just book an appointment, moan and they just do it. You'd be amazed at how many people in there are doing the same thing, and how many back up phones behind the desk they have. There is obviously an issue otherwise they wouldn't do it!

Soldato
Battery life issues are rarely caused by hardware. A reinstall, without restoring from an old backup, should sort the issue out for you.

Soldato
OP
I've tried that and it hasn't helped. The thing is I've recently been travelling for 3 months and I used it all the time/charged it sporadically. I think the battery may actually be damaged.

A new one would be great. I've decided against buying an iPhone 5. It's a really uninspiring 'upgrade.'

Soldato
I've tried that and it hasn't helped. The thing is I've recently been travelling for 3 months and I used it all the time/charged it sporadically. I think the battery may actually be damaged.

A new one would be great. I've decided against buying an iPhone 5. It's a really uninspiring 'upgrade.'

Ah, if that's the case, then yes, get it replaced.

Associate
I'm having the same problem, I was in London yesterday and my 4S didn't last the day, I surfed the web over 3G for ten minutes, sent 6 messages and made one 15 minute phone call the the battery went from 100 percent at 9am to 0 by 7pm.

On average it loses ten percent an hour when not being used. I'll give Apple a call on Monday and see what they suggest, it's just not useable for a proper day away from the home or office.

Soldato

What were you expecting, universal translator and transporter as in "beam me up Scotty"? We are currently bumping up against the limits of current technology so all anyone is likely to get from any manufacturer at present is incremental whistles and bells.

Soldato
OP
What were you expecting, universal translator and transporter as in "beam me up Scotty"? We are currently bumping up against the limits of current technology so all anyone is likely to get from any manufacturer at present is incremental whistles and bells.

It's a nice improvement but doesn't warrant the rush of people desperate to upgrade.

The iPhone 4 was an incredible upgrade from the 3GS and everything since has been nothing in comparison.

Soldato
The iPhone 4 was an incredible upgrade from the 3GS

It wasn't really incredible, people have warped perceptions based on their emotional response to the product rather than the facts. It had a nice pretty new form factor, if on a design aspect you want to quantify it as incredible, then sure. Specs wise, not at all, the only upgrade of note was the introduction of the retina display, other than that it was an unremarkable spec bump (same CPU with a 200mhz bump, same GPU with a 50mhz bump), the only thing of note in the specs is the doubling of ram, so an incredible upgrade? not at all.

The 4S to the 5 is a bigger upgrade than the 3GS to 4 was.

Soldato
OP
It wasn't really incredible, people have warped perceptions based on their emotional response to the product rather than the facts. It had a nice pretty new form factor, if on a design aspect you want to quantify it as incredible, then sure. Specs wise, not at all, the only upgrade of note was the introduction of the retina display, other than that it was an unremarkable spec bump (same CPU with a 200mhz bump, same GPU with a 50mhz bump), the only thing of note in the specs is the doubling of ram, so an incredible upgrade? not at all.

The 4S to the 5 is a bigger upgrade than the 3GS to 4 was.

I understand your point but in all honesty I couldn't care less how fast the processor is or how much memory it has. It's a phone. I'm not using it to do CTU intensive things. I'm using it to call people, browse News/Facebook and listen to music, like the majority of iPhone users. The 4S already does those things rapidly.

For me, the Retina display wholly justified the upgrade from the 3GS and it was worth every penny.

I personally feel they need something better than a larger screen and improved tech specs, the latter of which I couldn't care less about. They've barely changed anything on the Camera either although to be fair it's pretty good already. Say the iPhone 5 had a revolutionary new type of battery that powered the thing for days on end - I'd have pre-ordered one straight away. That's the sort of thing that would impress me.

Soldato
OP
Took it back today and they ran some diagnostics and then replaced it. Turns out the battery was indeed borked.

Soldato
Say the iPhone 5 had a revolutionary new type of battery that powered the thing for days on end - I'd have pre-ordered one straight away. That's the sort of thing that would impress me.

With present battery technology it just isn't possible, though. Apple can only use the types of batteries which are commercially available! We need some kind of breakthrough which uses completely different battery technology, not just refinements of what we have.

The only other option is to reduce power usage, and the iPhone is already better in that area than most smartphones.

Soldato
I'm not using it to do CTU intensive things. I'm using it to call people, browse News/Facebook and listen to music, like the majority of iPhone users.

Clock the CPU to 1mhz and it will suffer greatly at browsing web pages, looking through contacts, scrolling through music, or opening any application

To the OP - you did right going in. Apple are very good at sorting you out with replacements or helping with anything really

Soldato
I understand your point but in all honesty I couldn't care less how fast the processor is or how much memory it has. It's a phone. I'm not using it to do CTU intensive things. I'm using it to call people, browse News/Facebook and listen to music, like the majority of iPhone users. The 4S already does those things rapidly.

For me, the Retina display wholly justified the upgrade from the 3GS and it was worth every penny.

I personally feel they need something better than a larger screen and improved tech specs, the latter of which I couldn't care less about. They've barely changed anything on the Camera either although to be fair it's pretty good already. Say the iPhone 5 had a revolutionary new type of battery that powered the thing for days on end - I'd have pre-ordered one straight away. That's the sort of thing that would impress me.

Not saying that I disagree that the 4S to the 5 is an unworthy upgrade, however, what exactly do you expect them to do? They've made it thinner, lighter, more powerful, given it a bigger display with superior colour reproduction, and have improved the battery life with the more efficient SoC. You're asking for something that isn't possible, on a device that, out of all of the devices on the market, does not really need it (improved battery life). I agree, a battery that lasted three or four days would be brilliant if you were away locally for a few days, but the fact is that it is very unlikely that you'd go to a location without any plugs - if you did, these locations probably wouldn't have any signal either. For what technology allows, Apple have pretty much done everything right: they didn't go quad core, they increased efficiency, they kept the battery the same (the only way they could make the phone thinner), basically all the stuff above.

As for those claiming that the 4S to the 5 is a big upgrade...I'm sorry, but there is a huge difference between "power" and "performance". Just because a device is powerful doesn't mean that it offers massive performance improvements - the 5 isn't a huge upgrade over the 4S in this respect. The 4S was already a pretty quick device, and after having a good play with the 5, it's faster, no doubt, but certainly not by enough for any 4S owner to truly justify, unless of course the display is that big a deal.

Obviously, if you are in a position to buy the 5 or the 4S, go with the newer device.

Clock the CPU to 1mhz and it will suffer greatly at browsing web pages, looking through contacts, scrolling through music, or opening any application
I don't know whether the 1MHz comment was a typo or not. If it was, that's just a silly comment, but presuming it wasn't, that makes no sense, the 4S is already clocked at 800MHz...:confused:

Soldato
OP
I suppose you are right, it's not fair to expect a miracle but I genuinely believe this is the first time a new iPhone has been released and masses of people have been really disappointed.

I could have bought an iPhone 5 at Bluewater when I switched my 4S but I really just can't justify it. I also prefer the weight and feel of the 4S. I live quite an active lifestyle and my phone gets chucked around, the 5 felt like it would disintegrate. The 4S is absolutely rapid in everything I use it for. Justifying the 5 is faster is like saying a movie is better if it was shown at 100fps instead of the classic 24fps. It's not going to make a difference, really. There are already enough frames per second.

So, yeah it would be nice to have the 5, but this year Apple can do without my yearly contribution to their revenues.

Soldato
As I said in the "iPhone 5 worth it from 4S" thread, it's not that the 5 is a poor upgrade over the 4S. It's more that all mid-high end phones offer the same features now, and aside from NFC, there isn't anything really that Apple could have done.

Back
Top Bottom