Worth updating my Jailbroken (3.1.3) 3GS?

Soldato
Hi guys a friend of mine used jailbreakme to JB my Iphone. It was already unlocked by o2.

I've noticed a few apps that I've tried to get recently require 4.?? to work.

As I didn't do it myself I'm a little worried about doing it this time.

Reading around the sensible thing to do sounds like updating the phone to 4.2.1 and then Jailbreaking it using GreenPois0n RC5? Is that correct?

I know there are newer versions like 4.3.? but am I right in thinking that they are a little new and therefore the Jailbreaking is still quite new.

I know nothing about SHSH or backing up, but if I go to 4.2.1 using Itunes is it safe to say I wont need to back up because I won't need to go back to 3.1.3?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge.

Cheers,
Tom

EDIT : Apparently my Iphone 3gs is New Bootrom if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just received my iPhone 4 (running 4.3) today and I'm looking to jailbreak. I'm quite technically minded but the whole thing looks an absolute mess when I search Google for methods.

What's my best route here? Upgrade to the new firmware before jailbreaking?

Soldato
without your SHSH blobs you can't pick and choose which OS you get. You can get 4.3.3 and maybe 4.3.2 if apple are still signing installations of that.
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Yup. It's unlikely that you'd be able to upgrade to 4.2.x. Apple will have stopped signing those versions on the 3GS, which means that without having saved your SHSH blobs you can't install them. You need to go to 4.3.3.

Soldato
Hi, in order to save starting a new thread, would I be best of updating my 3GS to 4.3.3 before JB'ing?

I'm running 4.2.1 right now and it seems problem free, so would I be best off staying with 4.2.1 and JB'ing without updating instead?

If I do this, what do I need to do if I need to restore?

Soldato
I've just received my iPhone 4 (running 4.3) today and I'm looking to jailbreak. I'm quite technically minded but the whole thing looks an absolute mess when I search Google for methods.

What's my best route here? Upgrade to the new firmware before jailbreaking?

download redsnow , open it , follow on screen instructions , done

RE iphone 3 and 3gs im not sure if its the same, never owned one

Back
Top Bottom