Worth waiting for 2016 MacBook Pro for USB-C?

TS7

TS7

Soldato
OP
There appears to a number of tech websites and you tubers alluding to release being in October now, hope that's the case.

Associate
I hope they don't get rid of the sd card reader. But from the leaks it seem they might!

The slot is really useful, especially for expanding the inbuilt storage capabilities. I've got a 2012 Macbook Air with a 128GB SSD, when this got full I stuck a 128GB micro SD card into an adapter which sits in the sd card slot and is completely flush, and totally removable.

Associate
I hope they don't get rid of the sd card reader. But from the leaks it seem they might!

The slot is really useful, especially for expanding the inbuilt storage capabilities. I've got a 2012 Macbook Air with a 128GB SSD, when this got full I stuck a 128GB micro SD card into an adapter which sits in the sd card slot and is completely flush, and totally removable.

They better not get rid of the damn 3.5mm port.

Associate
Oh come on it's hardly a deal breaker is it. Wireless headphones, job done :p

Are you serious?

I've wanted a MBP for years. Let my laptop disintegrate (like they always do) and have been using a half broken laptop for a year waiting for this MBP. I'll be ****ed that I would have waited all this time without a laptop and have to buy another Windows one anyway if they don't have 3.5mm.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Are you serious?

Well, yes.

If the laptop is epic in every way and suited my needs perfectly but the only thing was the lack of a headphone port. I'd buy the laptop and then some wireless headphones. It's really not that big a deal.

If I can afford to spank out for a rMBP I can afford £25 on some wireless headphones.

Associate
Well, yes.

If the laptop is epic in every way and suited my needs perfectly but the only thing was the lack of a headphone port. I'd buy the laptop and then some wireless headphones. It's really not that big a deal.

If I can afford to spank out for a rMBP I can afford £25 on some wireless headphones.

So what happens to speakers, microphones.

Caporegime
So what happens to speakers, microphones.

It will have a built in microphone, like all laptops do anyway. And speakers, same as the headphones.

EDIT: And if you wanted external ones if you did more blogging etc then USB-C ones will be available, or adaptors for your existing ones. Et voila.

Associate
It will have a built in microphone, like all laptops do anyway. And speakers, same as the headphones.

Same as headphones? Buy some cheapo bluetooth ones and make existing ones redundant.

I didn't think I'd actually have to worry about no 3.5mm port but some people somehow actually welcome the idea. Not having one on a phone is one thing but on a laptop.... not acceptable.

Caporegime
Same as headphones? Buy some cheapo bluetooth ones and make existing ones redundant.

I didn't think I'd actually have to worry about no 3.5mm port but some people somehow actually welcome the idea. Not having one on a phone is one thing but on a laptop.... not acceptable.

Orrrrrrr as I just posted. Grab a USB-C adaptor for your existing one.

Like people have done with the IP7.

I do not agree with the removal of the port. But I can see why and understand the reasoning and it wouldn't stop me from buying the laptop it self. I regularly use the headphone port on my current rMBP and work laptop. So I'd just get an adaptor and carry on :)

Man of Honour
Waiting for this to be released, fed up of my surface.

I don't think I need a Pro though, so may go for a regular MacBook but I know the Pro will have bits on that will make me buy one. Perhaps 13" as a compromise.

Soldato
am looking to grab one of these in October but am not going to be impressed if the 3.5mm port is disconnected

IIRC on the leaked parts images it still had a headphone jack. I doubt it's safe though; apparently Apple had a question in customer surveys recently about how much usage Mac owners were getting from it.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
What was the outcome of the survey?

Does it matter? It's only there as an excuse. We all know what the outcome of the survey "how often do you use headphone jack on your phone" would be and yet it didn't stop them.

The task at hand is to get masses onto wireless apple ear tampons bandwagon, before narrowing the market to some sort of proprietary enhanced profile. If discontinuing headphone jack in MBP will help them, they will do it, end of.

Soldato
What was the outcome of the survey?

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/14/apple-macbook-pro-survey/

How would I know lol?

In any case the onboard audio of a laptop is never going to be sufficient to power the kind of headphones that audio-lovers care about - that's what USB DACs/amps are for, and if gen pop are happy with wireless audio (and they are judging by what I see on public transport etc) for mobile devices then they'll probably not make a fuss about the 3.5mm jack going on tablets and laptops.

EDIT - actually audio lovers might cry a bit because the 3.5mm jack of Macs has always doubled as a 3.5mm to optical TOSLINK digital audio output (it's how I connect my NAD DAC to my Mac Mini) but USB is perfectly okay as well.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They need to hurry up, getting itchy feet. Starting a degree in the new year hopefully and I expect most will be done on the new MBP.

Associate
Quite fancy the new one, got a 2013 MacBook Pro 15 I need to sell first though. What's the thoughts on eBay these days? I've created a listing although scared to submit it lol

Man of Honour
I hate selling on eBay, I always try to sell on here, AV Forums or Talk Photography if I can. Failing that then local Facebook groups or Gumtree.

Back
Top Bottom