Worthy upgrade for vr?

Soldato
Alright chaps.

Currently got a 970 and it's really starting to struggle in DCS and as I've had it nearly 4 years I'm looking down the upgrade path.

I'm currently eyeing up 1070tis but can't bring myself to spend the extra on 1080ti, although I know the extra performance would be good.

Is there anyone having similar feelings? Should I just go for the middle of the road 1070ti instead?

I know I could wait for the next range of cards, but that's what I did last time and the prices went mental

Soldato
OP
Bit daft to buy now, we maybe a few months away from new cards. Just keep saving and pump for the 1180

Aye I've been deliberating it for so long I might as well now, I just can't see prices dropping even when they release and themselves will probably be considerably more expensive anyway

Soldato
Yes the price may disappoint, if it's too much you can always pick up a second hand 1080 or 1080ti from members market

Soldato
The 1070 runs VR very well.

The problem you run in to is the unoptimized ports where more is better, think fallout, American truck, maybe DCS I don't play it. Not all get lumped in the bracket, skyrim, payday, assetto corsa, the forest, everspace, middle of the road performance, but a 1070 works fine.

Some of the best graphical games in VR I have, La Noire, Primordian, X Rebirth, they all run flawlessly on high settings with a reasonable amount of SS on a 1070.

That said, I will be stepping up when new cards become available, though that's more of a rebuild issue.

Soldato
I'm running VR on an 8gb rx480 and it's pretty smooth. But I doubt you'll find any for sale now. Miners ate them all :/

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I had a 1070 and moved to a 1080, found it a decent improvement, more so than the £100 price difference at the time.

Just sanity checked rough prices. From what I can see:
1070 - circa £400
1080 - circa £480
1080ti - circa £700

From what I've seen of stats, the 1080 is around 40% faster than the 1070, and I'd agree with that rough guestimate based upon my own update. For an additional £80, bit of a no brainer.
The 1080ti is around 40% faster again than the 1080, with an additional cost of circa £220. If you have the dosh, worth the cost, but not the no brainer than the 1080 appears to be.

Last edited:
Soldato
1070/80 thought, there's not much difference with what software is out there in the VR space. In general if it runs ok on a 70 it won't be much different on an 80, aside from a fractional sample rate increase. If it's unoptimized then 70/80 ain't great and you'll see those with ti's still moaning about repo. Project Cars 2 is one game that i'm unsure on, Id love to see the stats on what can be achieved on that over the 3 cards.

Honestly I saw a graphical breakdown of the levels of super sampling that can be achieved with a ti over all the rest, it's ludicrous compared to any other card. I've been tempted so many times to punt a 1080ti, because anything that's optimized and runs well already will look much finer with the leap in sample rate a ti can do.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to rebuilding, the card will be great, shame i'm not quite tempted enough by the pro yet:)

Associate
My 970 failed recently, picked up the OCUK deal on the 1070Ti for £400 as I needed a GPU and wanted to buy new. It has handled all the VR titles I've tried with ease so far.

If you find a good deal, I'd go for it, waiting for the next GPU's release will only end in disappointment IMO; wait time, availability, pricing and not a huge performance leap.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm keeping an eye on prices but not getting value for money right now imo, I'll just keep waiting, quite happy to buy last gen of the price drops accordingly

Back
Top Bottom