Would 7900GT SLI Be Bottlenecked By My CPU?

Thx.

So would a single 7900GT be sufficient to get max settings in all games at 1280x1024 res? My 7800GT can't even handle Far Cry with these settings without severe slowdown at times. I suspect for games like FEAR and Oblivion a single 7900GT would not be sufficient.

FEAR appears to be coded badly tbh, many people have more problems than they should with this game.

Frankly considering the current prices i would get this card ...
Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (3055) (GX-046-CO)
£311.32 Including VAT ** This Week Only**

[Same speed as the 7900GTX, but much cheaper]

Thanks for the recommendation but I have decided to get a single 7900GT for now. I have obtained one for around £220 including delivery and VAT. It seems they overclock extremely well and should perform not far below this ATI which is £100 more. If I want to upgrade further I shall get an additional 7900GT which will blitz the ATI model you have shown me.

If I had a Crossfire motherboard I might lean more towards the ATI cards, but the 7900GT seems to represent the best VFM to me atm, and I have an SLI mobo.

I'm still open to other opinions, and I have at least a week to change my mind whilst my supplier gets new stock.

If you have a 7800GT, the jump to the 7900GT (same speed as 7800GTX 256MB) may not be all you were hoping for in terms of a performance upgrade really.

The 7900GT is close to the X1800XT in speed.
The 7900GT is actually a fair bit slower than the X1900XTX in terms of single card performance.
As far as overclocking: all cards overclock. The X1800 & X1900 series are proven good overclockers.

The point is you may want to wait & get a faster card : the 7900GTX perhaps when prices come down, if you can wait that long.

Personally i have never seen the point of SLI (or crossfire for that matter), unless you get 2 cards straight away. I find that usually by the time i want a speed upgrade its cheaper to sell you original card & get the quicker next gen card. Especially now with Vista coming (DX10).

Anyway enjoy whatever card you get. :)

Last edited:
Strange my 7800GT can do Far cry 1680x1050 with full settings with HDR and AA+AF (with the new beta patch) and i never get slow downs ! Although the average FPS is 40's to 70's which is still very playable

For me it is fine usually but at certain points becomes very bad. Most noticable is when Cryovision is used; on some areas frame rates drop to less than 10ps. It scores normal marks for it in 3DMark so I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

EDIT:

I have decided to go with the X1900XT. Wow - I didn't realise how good value they were here atm!

Can you tell me why to go for the one you mentioned though plz?

There is another one on sale for around £280:

PowerColor ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-060-PC)

I know it has a slightly lower stock speed, but will this effect its overclocking capabilities?

Last edited:
Duel said:
EDIT:

I have decided to go with the X1900XT. Wow - I didn't realise how good value they were here atm!

Can you tell me why to go for the one you mentioned though plz?

There is another one on sale for around £280:

PowerColor ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-060-PC)

I know it has a slightly lower stock speed, but will this effect its overclocking capabilities?

It was the cheapest XTX card & is a good buy.
However you are right the PowerColor X1900 XT should overclock to XT-X speeds (though they too overclock well) & it is cheaper, so it is a very good buy.

Back
Top Bottom