Would a Imac be useful to someone who is doing computer science?

Associate
Currently doing a computer science course just started, and am wondering whether it will be useful or not. As I am currently planning to get windows 7 pc or a imac very shortly.

Looking at my modules I will have computer programming and website design (using any program I want) starting very shortly.

Any advice much appreciated

Associate
I'm doing Computer Forensics (1st Year) and just took delivery of a MacBook Pro yesterday. Most major programs are available on OSX, if not an alternative is available.

Although I'm only a week in, I've started using BlueJ for Java (don't know if this is the orthodox way or not, but this is how my Uni is doing it) and that's available on both Windows and OSX.

For my web module, we've been told to use a program called sCiTE, which from my extremely brief google, is not available on OSX. But a program called Smultron seems a suitable substitue

Soldato
I'm doing Computer Forensics (1st Year) and just took delivery of a MacBook Pro yesterday. Most major programs are available on OSX, if not an alternative is available.

You should be using linux and unix a fair bit then. Its what i used most on my masters. They only briefly touched macs.

Soldato
You can run Windows 7 on an iMac either direct on the hardware dual booting via Boot Camp or virtually using Parallels/VMware.

If you want one buy one. There's an ever increasing number of IT professionals that prefer Macs for personal use.

Associate
OP
What are advantages of using the Imac over a windows based pc in making websites/designing/programming if there are any. Sorry question is very vague but have never had a mac only heard they are great for productivity

Associate

Started my course last week as well. The majority of the stuff we're doing is on Linux, with a small part later on Windows when we look at Encase and FTK. Certainly all our labs machines are dual boot Linux/Windows.

I'm desperately trying to get a Debian dual boot install on my MBP, having untold troubles though, even the official wiki admits its a bitch to do :(

Soldato
For web design on mac I use TextMate. I am assuming you will be developing/designing in tools like photoshop and manually building the markup so all you need for that will be a text editor really.

Soldato
Best bet is to go and try one in an Apple Store.

Back in ye olde days Apple Macs were the best machines for publishing, and most graphic designers and printing houses still prefer them. It comes down to the old quote of they just work.

It's basically down to the fact that one company make the hardware and the operating system (and to some extent the software) which means they are all optimised to work well together. Mac users will usually tell you that they spend more time doing useful stuff and not fighting the machine and wondering why it won't work properly.

Associate
A Mac would be quite good for computer science: you have a unix-compatible shell, the GNU toolchain ready to go, a reasonable IDE, a variety of excellent general text editors, and easy access to loads of OSS libraries from Macports.

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll be fine as long as you're willing to dual boot Windows. Most things can be done under OSX but not all SDKs and tools support the operating system.

Soldato
Started my course last week as well. The majority of the stuff we're doing is on Linux, with a small part later on Windows when we look at Encase and FTK. Certainly all our labs machines are dual boot Linux/Windows.

I'm desperately trying to get a Debian dual boot install on my MBP, having untold troubles though, even the official wiki admits its a bitch to do :(

We had dual boot xp/debian but i used ubuntu as that was fine. BASH code is the same for both.

Associate
We had dual boot xp/debian but i used ubuntu as that was fine. BASH code is the same for both.

Wish I had gone down the Ubuntu route - I had it on a VM on my Mac OS, should have just stuck with that. Took me till two this morning to get a working dual boot system up and running :(

Soldato
You can run Windows 7 on an iMac either direct on the hardware dual booting via Boot Camp or virtually using Parallels/VMware.

If you want one buy one. There's an ever increasing number of IT professionals that prefer Macs for personal use.

As an IT professional who runs entirely on Macs at home I will repeat MagicBoy's "if you want one, buy one" statement.

Hell if I could get the IT Manager to sign it off I'd have an iMac at work.

Soldato
As do I, although there is a PC Gaming rig sat unloved under the desk.

Work are now offering Mac support where it was sort of outsourced before, they even sent me on a course and bought a Mac mini. :D

Soldato
Wish I had gone down the Ubuntu route - I had it on a VM on my Mac OS, should have just stuck with that. Took me till two this morning to get a working dual boot system up and running :(

xp/ubuntu dual boot is very easy to setup. I had it setup on my netbook and on my main pc i had W7. I found it easier to have a separate pc to play with as any problems it wont effect the writing of any assignments plus you dont have to keep tabbing out of software.

Back
Top Bottom