Would an upgrade in GPU have a big impact on VR performance?

Associate
Hi, i'm using an AMD r9 290 with an oculus rift and for the main part it handles the games fine, the steamvr ready checker considers the platform to be in the green 'ready' section and I've not had any noticeable consistent tearing/stuttering. However I do find wearing the headset for more than 30 minutes to be pretty nauseating to the point that I rarely use it. I'm wondering if upgrading the graphics card would have a significant impact to the way the games feel. Does anyone have any experience of upgrading their card and the difference it made to the vr games? I'm worried I'm gonna fork out best part of £500 for a 2070 just to find the games acting very similar without any significant difference.

Soldato
It's all about fps. If your current setup gives you consistent 90fps (rift cv1 max refresh rate) without drops, then your VR is as good is it can feel while you are getting used to it. If your GPU gives you frequent frame drops, than GPU upgrade would help as they can and do feel nauseating. Running at constant max refresh rate and taking it easy/taking many breaks as you ease your way into VR are both key.

Associate
If your PC can maintain a steady 45 fps (but not 90) then it'll do 45 fps using ASW (Asynchronous Spacewarp).
I'm not sure if this might contribute to your nausea though.
Some people are more prone to nausea in VR and it can take some people a long time to get used to it. A bit like getting your sea legs.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers for the reply's, Its interesting to know having a superior card doesn't appear to effect the vr experience vastly, though I will check the fps I'm getting in game and see what level its performing at atm

Soldato
Cheers for the reply's, Its interesting to know having a superior card doesn't appear to effect the vr experience vastly, though I will check the fps I'm getting in game and see what level its performing at atm
Oh, it does. 90fps is much-much more comfortable than 45fps with ASW. In some games like racing or first person shooter 45fps makes is uncomfortable even after having used VR for years. In others - like flight sim DCS- 45fps is ok. Of course getting 90fps in Beat Sabre is much easier than getting 90fps in Project Cars 2 or Elite:Dangerous - just as an example.

Associate
Oh, it does. 90fps is much-much more comfortable than 45fps with ASW. In some games like racing or first person shooter 45fps makes is uncomfortable even after having used VR for years. In others - like flight sim DCS- 45fps is ok. Of course getting 90fps in Beat Sabre is much easier than getting 90fps in Project Cars 2 or Elite:Dangerous - just as an example.

Ahhh yes 45 fps, not 40 fps. I had a mind blank and couldn't remember if it was 40 or 45!
You're right about 90 fps being more comfortable than 90 fps. I see I didn't actually emphasise that in my post!
@Jammas, More info: The Oculus Debug Tool or Oculus Tray Tool will allow you to force ASW off (if it's been automatically turned on because you can't get 90 fps) and tell you if it's on or off. There's also a keypress to turn it off (can't remember what it is though).

Soldato
I had a mind blank and couldn't remember if it was 40 or 45!
Let's just call it max refresh rate :) 90fps for Rift CV1 and 80fps for RiftS with corresponding ASW @ 45 and 40 fps. A good GPU would push those frames on a demanding VR game and make it comfortable, a poorer GPU would struggle and have spiking fps or drop to ASW which is ok'ish in some games but always less comfortable than consistent full refresh rate :)

Back
Top Bottom