Would drivers cause a GPU issue or not likely?

Soldato
picked up an HIS 6870 1gb yesterday for £10 it was Down as not working for anything but bios, so I connected it earlier along with the dual 6 pin and it worked fine, okay blank screen after post screen, but had that the first time with the 5770 I had, so after restart it loaded and I was on windows with no issues to report, okay this was hdmi so don’t know about the other ports..

Anyways windows did that Automatic driver install whenever new hardware gets added and after the restart I started to see issues, it was scrambled lines with ruler width gaps inbetween, but able to see the password bit, however after pressing enter it was just the pale background of win 7 Login screen, after couple restarts it kept showing the same background or the cursor etc going white, basically making it useless.

For a tenner I wanted the gamble as I’ve seen this card selling for double or triple what I paid, but I have recently taken the cooler off, removed all the paste that looked fresh from ease of removal, but cream colour only to find out I’ve run out of thermal paste doh, so before I go buy some more, I am curious as to what will likely be a cause for the issues?

Associate
It sounds that as soon as windows installed drivers it started artefacting
I am afraid that it is broken
And GPU acceleration will result in artefacts

Associate
Maybe card is flashed with an overclocked bios, try flashing an original bios, if that doesnt work there is always oven baking method to resolder / reflow loose solders xD

Soldato
OP
thanks for the advise, never done anything like that before, but as i seem to have lost my spare thermal paste i am going to have to get some more so i can put it back together.

i am ging to selling the computer, so i will be reinstalling windows whether that would make any difference, but as for bios its an acer board so the bios is whatever it is, i never had to do anything like that for my 5000 series cards? im no expert, but the board looks fine, cant notice any blown or bulgy caps.

the tv i use is okay, its some cheap brand(secondary screen) and seems fine for xbox and it does seem fine for the computer im using it with right now(not my acer) which has a GT 610 in it which last night i did notice some artifacts in the bottom left corner adjusting resolution which went away once i found a suitable display, do you think the cheapy tv could show signs or thats just a stupid assumption?

Associate
No i meant bios for the graphic card.... If you can use gpu-z and check your cards original speeds and compare it with bios speeds on below page. If they are in high range then most likely it has an overclocked bios.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...l=HD+6870&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

Alternatively it helps to test your new graphic card in another system to rule out if card is working or not...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No i meant bios for the graphic card.... If you can use gpu-z and check your cards original speeds and compare it with bios speeds on below page. If they are in high range then most likely it has an overclocked bios.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...l=HD+6870&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

Alternatively it helps to test your new graphic card in another system to rule out if card is working or not...

ah okay i get you, well im getting thermal paste tomorrow, so ill use a spare hdd i have for a fresh windows and go from there, i dont have a backup system for these tests so hopefully it will answer the questions.

Soldato
OP
Just a bit of an update, I put paste on, put cooler back on and so far it's working during windows install, had some lines a few seconds later in the bottom left corner like my 610 does the odd time, but unplug hdmi cable then plug back it removed that.

Purchased a corsair TX650w earlier which is running it all okay, but power was never the issue with the card, just don't want to sell my evga a.

Back
Top Bottom