Would I be mad to walk away from a job during a recession?

lol this TBH, if you're indespensable then you're pretty much un-sackable :D

Trust me, in this company no one is indispensable. I have seen first hand many "Indispensable" employees pushed out the door. Why? Because indispensable is expensive. The people making these decisions are not the people who can differentiate between employees and their relative merits, only the cost of employing them.

I don't know anyone who is giving any technical training to our Indian counterparts. Only access, and procedural knowledge.

From the "Business Perspective" the Indian Staff are "Better Trained, Certified and cheaper" than the UK equivalent. This is because, they have been given the training, been put through the certification process and they have decades less experience.

Will business suffer? Only time will tell.

Associate
OP
The training is really handing over the business processes for the accounts in question. I'm certainly not going to be giving any technical training thats for certain. But it really is a kick in the love spuds that they fly these chaps over here, sit them with us and then expect us to hand it all over as if we really don't mind :mad:

Whilst non of us are indespensable the sad thing is that our new overlords just don't seem to care at all about the impact in service delivery for our customers. It almost feels as though they don't want the business and they don't care if it fails. This is probably why I feel like jumping ship, even if I'm 'lucky' enough to survive the current cull, I just can't imagine what it is going to be like trying to manage the workload. And from experience I know that the work that does get 'best shored' only ends up back with us to fix the mess it ends up in.

On the possitive side of things and in answer to Mr_T, I'm single, no kids and would certainly consider moving abroad. Just need to find a job doing server support, AD, SCCM, SMS2003, SQL etc. Preferably something SCCM related as my most recent work has involved SCCM implementations for a couple of large corporations. I've no idea if there is much demand for this kind of work though.

The training is really handing over the business processes for the accounts in question. I'm certainly not going to be giving any technical training thats for certain. But it really is a kick in the love spuds that they fly these chaps over here, sit them with us and then expect us to hand it all over as if we really don't mind :mad:

Whilst non of us are indespensable the sad thing is that our new overlords just don't seem to care at all about the impact in service delivery for our customers. It almost feels as though they don't want the business and they don't care if it fails. This is probably why I feel like jumping ship, even if I'm 'lucky' enough to survive the current cull, I just can't imagine what it is going to be like trying to manage the workload. And from experience I know that the work that does get 'best shored' only ends up back with us to fix the mess it ends up in.

On the possitive side of things and in answer to Mr_T, I'm single, no kids and would certainly consider moving abroad. Just need to find a job doing server support, AD, SCCM, SMS2003, SQL etc. Preferably something SCCM related as my most recent work has involved SCCM implementations for a couple of large corporations. I've no idea if there is much demand for this kind of work though.
Oh do not get me started on the way our company is handling the Boomerang Best Shore Process.

Soldato
Lol, I couldn't possibly comment (nods head) ;) god, I hope you're not my boss :eek:

Thanks for the advise everyone, I think I obviously need to take a bit of time and think about it. I'm probably feeling a bit depressed about work at the minute so probably not the best time to be making these kind of decisions.
HP and EDS per chance! lol, you lot are so predictable!

Soldato
Hi,

I've been working in IT at the same place for nearly 10 years now. When I first started I loved the job, however for the last 3 - 4 years we've been going through a constant cycle of redundancies. People have come and gone, colleagues who became friends have lost their jobs, it's got to the stage where I sometimes feel physically sick at the thoughts of going into work. I love the people I work with, but I've come to hate the company I work for. Everytime a team meeting is called you can just see everyone's heads go down as we expect the worst.

A lot of our work is being best shored to India and we are being expected to train our Indian colleagues to effectively do our jobs! We are going to have to lose even more members of our team and have already been told that there will be compulsary redundancies (I've been told I'm safe for now). Given the current economic climate and job market, would it be stupid to ask the boss if I could be made redundant and just walk away ? A part of me thinks I should just be grateful to have a job, but then another part of me thinks it has reached the stage where I can't take the constant threat of redundancy and workplace conditions anymore.

Anyway, sorry for the depressing rant, but what do you think ? Do I just need to get over myself and be thankful for having a job, or do I tell them to stick it and take redundancy ?

After 12 years I decided enough was enough and felt that I wanted to try my hand at pastures new. I left in May 09. I moved from development into sales then product management back in 05 because I knew what was coming and I wanted to move away from technical positions.
There's only so many years that you can live with the same products before you loose motivation and feel numbed in the mind. I am naturally interested in pushing myself and into new things. At this point I was feeling it and I wanted todo something more interesting, unfortunately todo that required a move that wasn't available. So I talked to people (a privilege of being the longest serving employee!) and we worked out something. They even paid for me to take the team out for a pub lunch :D

I am looking for a job. However I've taken my time, spent three months over summer enjoying myself and have only really started looking now.

The market is tough. No surprise, so think hard about how long the money will last. It's an employer's market too so factor that into the salary you may be offered.
On a personal note, I think I've grown a lot and even gone through some middle age crisis exploration too. I've had a real think about what's important to me and I'm more comfortable and confident in my own skin. Something that sitting in the same company for 12 years doesn't push you to think about.

So I'm actually looking forward to starting a new job with new challenges.

In your position I would probably focus on looking for a new role in the company using what you know such as sales, or, fact the reality and get the CV up to date by using this as an excuse.

(btw I've been through outsourcing, insourcing, blended and survived four seperate rounds of redundancies before. I know the anxiety and the feeling that you've been through the wringer yet again)

PS. before anyone points at me claiming.. I'm 100% self-funded..

Last edited:
Soldato
My dad, yes I am 31 & live at my parents (disabilities), anyway we are thinking of moving in march to this cool town we went to in may. With or without a job. Life is short, so why not go be happy for some of it? There is the health insurance thing to worry about if my dad get no job, but just for 8 years & insured again. Plus the town will pay for dr. visits & meds I think.

Last edited:
Associate
£18k redundancy is good, our place is offering 2weeks pay for every year service.

And being without a job and looking while getting rejections really is the most depressing crap feeling i have ever had..... Only lasted about a month for me, but today i reckon it would be a lot longer....

Soldato
I would start looking before leaving any job at the moment as you just do not know how long it would take to find something that you would be interested in doing at the moment for the right money.

Good luck with whatever you end up trying!

Back
Top Bottom