Would I notice a big performance increase....Synology NAS question

Associate
Hi all,

I have had a Synology NAS DS211J for many years and haven't really used it much. I have now installed CCTV and I have the videos recording to that.

Now I have the NAS on 24/7 I am starting to use it much more (backing up photos, documents etc). It is relatively slow and does hang quite a bit at times and so searching videos etc is a tad painful.

I am looking at upgrading the number of CCTV cameras I have and so I am wondering if you think I would notice a significant increase in performance if I upgrade to a more modem Synology? If so, what would yu recommend? It would need to be a 2 bay as I like having 2 x drives in raid format.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Hi all,

I have had a Synology NAS DS211J for many years and haven't really used it much. I have now installed CCTV and I have the videos recording to that.

Now I have the NAS on 24/7 I am starting to use it much more (backing up photos, documents etc). It is relatively slow and does hang quite a bit at times and so searching videos etc is a tad painful.

I am looking at upgrading the number of CCTV cameras I have and so I am wondering if you think I would notice a significant increase in performance if I upgrade to a more modem Synology? If so, what would yu recommend? It would need to be a 2 bay as I like having 2 x drives in raid format.

Thanks in advance.

Are the photos on the same drive?

If you have data being constantly written to the drives, accessing them for anything else will be very slow. If you want raid redundancy (and you should) I'd consider a 4 bay, or a separate NAS for documents etc.

Soldato
Get a 4 bay NAS with 4 HD use 2 drives in RAID 1 for your CCTV and the other 2 drives for your other stuff. Or a cheaper option would be to get another 2 bay and dedicate one NAS to the CCTV.

Soldato
How many cameras do you have? Multiple HD streams being written to a drive will definitely hurt its response time.

I have 2 drives in my 212J, one for CCTV and an online backup, the other full of data and have never had any issues with browsing folders or accessing files... although the GUI did become a little sluggish after upgrading from DSM5 to 6.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

To be honest then I think I may just get a HikVision DVR then and stick a 1TB drive in that. I can then keep my trusty DS211J for backing up my photos.

Back
Top Bottom