Would i see much difference upgrading my ram in Lenovo Ideapad 510?

Associate
Hi, I have just upgraded my Lenonvo Ideapad 510 laptop with a 1 TB SSD drive, already it feels like a new laptop :)

I am using the memento cache software which makes it even quicker but i think this uses more Ram, I currently have 8GB.

My laptop unfortunately has 4GB Ram soldered on the board which i know isn't great for dual channel memory, would my laptop be better staying as it is with a dual channel setup with having 4gb soldered and a 4gb module, or if i bought a 8gb module to make it 12gb in total would that mean it would be still dual channel for the first 8gb then single for the rest?

Would it also be pointless putting in a faster latency Ram, would it downgrade to the same speed as the soldered module?

Or would only upgrading to 12gb be pointless and would make more sense getting a 16gb module?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

James

Soldato
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...vo-Ideapad-510-15ISK-ram-upgrade/td-p/3375478

16GB module (20GB max) looks like the best you can do from a quick skim read. An 8GB stick would do fine, probably better value too. Wouldn't worry too much about dual channel/matched capacity performance too much, sometimes capacity is it's own quality too ;)

More RAM means more memory on standby, less disk access and a smoother user experience, especially on laptops

Associate
Hi, I have just upgraded my Lenonvo Ideapad 510 laptop with a 1 TB SSD drive, already it feels like a new laptop :)

I am using the memento cache software which makes it even quicker but i think this uses more Ram, I currently have 8GB.

My laptop unfortunately has 4GB Ram soldered on the board which i know isn't great for dual channel memory, would my laptop be better staying as it is with a dual channel setup with having 4gb soldered and a 4gb module, or if i bought a 8gb module to make it 12gb in total would that mean it would be still dual channel for the first 8gb then single for the rest?

Would it also be pointless putting in a faster latency Ram, would it downgrade to the same speed as the soldered module?

Or would only upgrading to 12gb be pointless and would make more sense getting a 16gb module?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

James

I've upgraded an old Lenovo T500 and found that, as you have done, the harddisk->SSD give a very nice performance boost. I also found the upgrade to Win10 helped a lot too, as it seems to be much lighter on resources.

I'm running 8GB of ram and really don't have any issues. I'd honestly think long and hard before dumping any more money into your IP510. Unless you are specifically running software that requires more than the current 8GB, I'd just stay where you are. Win10 caching is actually very good, so I'm not quite sure for what purpose you are using this "memento cache software"?

Soldato
having 4gb soldered and a 4gb module, or if i bought a 8gb module to make it 12gb in total would that mean it would be still dual channel for the first 8gb then single for the rest?

I'm 99% certain the computer would run in flex memory mode, this being the first 8GB (of your 12GB total) will operate in dual channel, then the remaining 4GB will operate in single channel mode.

You can read about flex memory here

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html#flex

Back
Top Bottom