Would this be a good budget entry level gaming pc build?

Associate
OP
I think I’m going with:
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Desktop CPU

GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming 3

Corsair CP-9020121-UK CX Series 550 W

WD 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive

Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 PH-GTX1050TI-4G

Ballistix Sport LT 8GB DDR4 2666 MT/s

Man of Honour
if you're gonna get ryzen 1400, might as well get the 1600 for £20 more - and get an extra 2c4t...better value for money
also, faster ram, cheaper superflower rebranded power supply
and a sshd (assuming it's going to be the main drive - else a normal hdd would do)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £610.96 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Soldato
^^^^ If you can push the 1600- do it , will last longer in the end

Of the SSHD above is for OS. It'll sore up on Cashe most of the common accessed files etc etc so boot speed will pick up to be faster then HDD

Associate
OP
I’ve thought about it a bit more and would these parts be better:

AMD Ryzen 1400

Asus prime B350M-A

8GB Corsair vengeance DDR4

3GB Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1060

WD 1TB Black 3.5

Corsair 550w VS series

Soldato

I see some issues with a few of the choices but you haven't mentioned cost. For example, if you're getting a WD Black for the same price as a regular HDD, then go for it. But how likely is that? So we need to know the cost to help recommend best bang for buck.

Man of Honour

AMD Ryzen 1400

Asus prime B350M-A

8GB Corsair vengeance DDR4

3GB Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1060

WD 1TB Black 3.5

Corsair 550w VS series

The Corsair VS series are very low quality psu's and should be avoided. Don't get hung up on "it's Corsair so it must be good". They ruined that reputation a long time ago when they cheaped out on their psu oem's. They do not make any psu's themselves, they use third parties to build them. The VS series are the lowest of their range and has poor quality internals and is not even 80 Plus Bronze rated. In these days of more and more power efficiency it's about time the basic 80 plus rating (and bronze in my opinion) should be gotten rid of. I wouldn't even look at a psu that was rated less than gold these days. Do yourself a favour and buy a decent psu. The Bitfenix Formula 450w has the full 450w available on it's 12v rails, is gold rated and has a 5 year warranty. It's only a fiver more than the Corsair VS550 yet is a much higher quality. A quality 450w psu is more than enough for the components you have selected and would even run a GTX 1070.

Total: £63.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Memory for Ryzen needs to be 3000mhz or faster to get the best out of the cpu. You should be looking at a dual channel kit as well to maximise performance. If it's a 8Gb kit then 2x 4Gb sticks or 16Gb then 2x 8Gb sticks although a 16Gb kit is going to take a massive bite out of the budget so best to go for a 8Gb kit right now and you can always add another 8Gb kit later.

I would want a better motherboard than that. The Asus has no heatsinks on it's vrm's which is a big negative for me. The Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3 is a cracking price at the moment and is only a pound more than the Asus. The Asrock B350M Pro 4 has even better vrm cooling and is the same price as the Gigabyte. Keep in mind that these prices will go back to normal when this weeks deals end on Wednesday around lunchtime.

Total: £157.00 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Last edited:
Soldato
^^^^ Gigabyte comes with better RMA and support but both boards solid and cracking value for money, and PSU above is def the shout! if money is tight then the EVGA unit listed above

Back
Top Bottom