Would you be able to jump start a car or change a tyre?

Man of Honour
I was talking to someone last week who had no idea how to change a plug socket which I thought was the very bottom rung of technical knowledge for being an adult.

Whilst it is quite straight forward if you research it, i would hardly call messing with mains electricity ' the very bottom rung of technical knowledge' far from it.

Let me guess, you also built a nuclear reactor in your shed last Tuesday aswell.

Soldato
I don't even know how or when I learned to do either of these things, but I've had to do both more than once. Always put it down as one of those things you just know how to do.

Amazed at most of the replies.

Soldato
To be honest even any 'modern day' type person should be able to search the Internet to learn how to fix basic issues. I often tell people to 'Google it' when they ask for advice, if appropriate.

Soldato
On a car 10+ years old yes fine. Modern cars... I'd have no idea how to jump my current car and have no idea where the jack point is underneath the car so probably no to the wheel either.

Man of Honour
Yes to both, changing a flat I'd call RAC/AA.

yes to both, wonder how many could set the gap and dwell on a set of points though :)

used to spend my weekends ripping rotten hot hatches apart as a teenager and built many a 16v nova back in the days :)

Setting up points no, but I can at least use a timing light to set a distributor. I also have a pretty deep understanding of a lot of the control strategies used in modern ECUs thiugh

Soldato
Yes to both, as my battery always dies when it gets cold. Last time I tried fitting a spare wheel I couldn't get the bloody bolt loose though. Some retarded angled tyre iron so I couldn't get any leverage. So maybe knowing how and actually be able to depend on the tools at hand for me!

Back
Top Bottom