• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you buy a £700 AMD GPU minus RTX that was as fast as a 2080 Ti

Man of Honour
As in the title -

Would you buy a £700 AMD GPU minus RTX that was as fast as a 2080 Ti?

I personally think if people had the choice they would jump at the chance of going for the AMD option.

I feel that although Ray Tracing is a nice feature it have been rolled out a couple of generations too early on very large and expensive dies.

Is Ray Tracing worth paying £300 extra for?

Man of Honour
OP
If I wasn't tied into G-Sync then maybe as that's been the most I've paid for a GPU so far and I wasn't exactly happy about that with the pricing sneaking up every release.

NVidia should be supporting the cost of G-Sync monitors instead of allowing the vendors to pass on the cost to the end user.

G-Sync has made NVidia a huge amount of money just by trying users into the system and making it difficult to jump to the red team.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, luckily I've had no instability but the reports of the 2080ti failure rates is alarming.

I just think the whole RTX thing is a mid-generation money-grabbing exercise for them. They've basically saw AMD can't compete or offer better performance for the last 36 months so they're going to take advantage of everyone before they do finally catch up.

It has given NVidia the opportunity to get away with releasing a range of cards that are not really up to the job if they had to sell at reasonable price points. If AMD had competitive products at the high end I think it would be a one horse race.

RTX Ray Tracing does work just but only if you spend silly money on one of the high end cards. This makes Turing a flawed product but NVidia can get away with it as there is no competition.

Man of Honour
OP
Personally I hope they keep the prices at the high end, watching as PC gaming becomes more and more unaffordable if you want to buy in to the Nvidia eco system, and the criticism and back lash they will get from game developers when they sell a tiny percentage of the expected volume due to the expense of playing them "the way it's meant to be played".

Only then one they have almost killed the high end of PC gaming will they consider reducing the prices, when it is too late.

Hopefully in a couple of years time intel will have cards available and will be looking for marketshare.

Back
Top Bottom