Would you pick aero wheels over weight?

Associate
Looking for insight on what's more important depending what you're doing

Aero over weight and why? Also any suggestions of aero wheels around 200-400 from expierience?, Or cheaper

Soldato
Most bike frames are made in Taiwan, including lots of the big names. The actual country of manufacture doesn’t really mean anything.

Soldato
If you do a search this topic has been covered many times and my reviews of multiple wheels in multiple tough scenarios is in everyone. And everyone also says aero.

Associate
In that price bracket you won't get anything tunnel tested so you can only go by what looks faster...deeper and wider is better.

Soldato
Really.., you'd trust Chinese lol?

Most bike frames are made in Taiwan, including lots of the big names. The actual country of manufacture doesn’t really mean anything.

That’s in Taiwan which isn’t China. Quite a big difference:(

For what’s its worth my take on chiniese carbon is as long as you buy from a decent supplier and understand there is a small chance quality control isn’t quite as stringent then why not go for it.

Soldato
I've had a few pairs of chinese carbon wheels and on the whole I've found them to be complete garbage. They're often made with the absolute cheapest components and even upgrading hubs still didn't do a lot of good. My advice would be just to spend the extra money on some decent second hand wheels. I managed to find a barely used set of 404 firestrike clinchers with ceramicspeed bearings for a little over £800. The difference between the way they roll and the chinese ones is honestly night and day.

Soldato
My experience is that stuff breaks regardless of brand however a big brand will stand behind it, they put the £ into the R&D for new stuff. I couldn’t say if they ride better/worse as I never owned Chinese brand.

My carbon rim experience;

I had some older Zipp 303s and they were great to ride, the rear hub had the usual load of Zipp lateral play which was well know for that age hub (8-10 year old now). The rims and hubs were nicely made/machined and felt quality. I had a crash in a crit, ruined a tubular and a spoke pulled through the rim however the rim stayed complete and intact.

I have a set of Enve 65s and the brake track developed a pulse after a stage race with a mountain HC descent, new set provided FOC and the replacements been good for over 2 years now. Internal spokes and the holes are moulded not drilled into the rim.

It’s up to you to weigh up the cost of buying a branded rim vs a Chinese own brand and if you think they are worth the cost difference.

For just solo riding and group rides I would possible ride an open mould Chinese rim but for competitive riding and hard bunchies I’d go branded. Don’t want to have a component fail and bring myself or a load of guys down.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, so I've been looking at wheels I could go second hand.

Campagnolo Zonda C17 Road Clincher Wheelset

Fulcrum Racing 5 LG Road Wheelset 2018

Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG Alloy Clincher Wheelset

Any other good wheels I could look for used?

Back
Top Bottom